PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I am occasionally "forced" to buy pipes found in lots purchased on eBay to get the pipe in that lot that I actually want. Sometimes there are some rustic, hand carved pipes in those lots. Most of them are pretty bad and often skunked with illicit substance residue.
This one is an exception. It actually smokes kind of nice. I'm not sure what kind of woods the stummel and stem are made of. I'm thinking briar and oak, but I'm not sure. The wooden stem makes it very light and comfortable in the mouth. It's either very lightly smoked or unsmoked.
The original stain had mostly come off so I applied a thin coat of black dye and rubbed off most it before buffing.
There are no markings anywhere. It has a small tarnished brass ring between the stem and shank.
craft%20pipe_zps7cmouywr.jpg

craft%20pipe%2001_zpssrtdgqtz.jpg

craft%20pipe%2002_zpspxtj9aff.jpg

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
That's a really neat little pipe. I had one similar at one time, and it smoked well also.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's good to have pipes that are just about unique. I doubt there are any others just like this, and not too many like it at all. This looks like a good flake pipe or pipe for a short smoke or for sampling at the pipe show, where it would also be a good conversation piece.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Definitely a unique pipe, have you noticed any of the tobacco smell or taste gets trapped in the stem or mouthpiece. I think that would be my only concern. Looks great though, enjoy it!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That appears to be "home made" but it's also neat. Almost like a functional piece of folk art. I'm thinking the stem is oak but others here probably now better. Enjoy it.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Josh83, I don't see any indication of use. Looks like it was carved and set aside. The small metal ring was oxidized the finish was faded as if it had been sitting in a window sill for years.
I have this other similar one with an antler stem. I haven't tried to smoke this one yet.
primativepipe01_zps2c734ddd.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Both pipes are very unique but I really like the antler pipe. Very cool indeed. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm curious to know how it smokes as well? I'm wondering if it will impart any flavour on the tobacco. I've used saws, drills and files on antler and it really gives off a foul odor. I would say much like the smell of burning hair. Hopefully it will smoke s better than it machines. :)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I did put some Sutliff Blend No 5 in it last night. That antler stem feels very light and soft between the teeth. There was no antler taste at all as far as I could tell. The draw was too tight, but I think I can fix that. It's really too small to go into my rotation on a regular basis. I'm happy just to have it in my collection.
Here's one I recently got that is not so good. I like the shape of it, but the airway meets the tobacco chamber halfway up I can see the remnants of a pipe mud platform that has collapsed. It also has a nasty flaw in the shank that was filled with what looks like roofing tar. Nice try here, but fail! Would have been a sturdy pocket pipe for working outdoors. It looks well used so maybe the owner got some enjoyment out of it.
old%20no%207_zpsbzexzqtb.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Right on! Good that you tried it anyway. I would agree that it's great just to keep it as part of your collection. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a very similar pipe in my collection. The one I have was made during WWII from balsa and/or boxwood, and the coloring is nearly identical to the one you have pictured. It has the same band as well. I am fairly sure it was mass produced, because mine was part of a box of identical pipes found in an abandoned train station in Germany. The pipes were to be a Christmas present to some German soldiers from their commander.

Unfortunately, I do not have a photo to post, and I am in Romania (the pipe is in New Orleans). I can post a photo when I return home in May.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
rigmedic1, which pipe are you referring to, the first one? That would certainly raise its status in my collection if it were from that era.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Tuold,
Why yes, I am referring to the first photo in this post. My pipe was given to me by a collector of WWII memorabilia that obtained it in a package deal. Unfortunately, I do not have any idea where these pipes were made. My pipe has a very, very tiny SS stamped on the bottom of the shank, but is otherwise nearly exactly like the one you have posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.