PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pipes and Cigars sent out an email stating that Russ O.'s monthly blends (including my favorite, Log Cabin) will be discontinued at some point in the not distant future, so they say, order up anything you want to stash. This relates, I presume, to the impending FDA regs. Groan.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I wonder if the same thing will happen to things like Smokingpipes.com Grand Croupier blends? Since they are essentially the blending floor sweepings, they are always changing and could therefore possibly be considered a "new" (post-2007) blend. It would be unfortunate to lose these quality low-cost options.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
All that mixed table stuff will disappear as well they will not be able to regulate what's in it because how can someone like P and C

know for sure

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know what this WON'T affect. I worry about the PC Midtown series of tub tobaccos, Fire Storm from Russ O., the smokingpipes.com Lowlands series, and on and on. Some or all of this is post 2007. I'm hoping some or most of the Iwan Ries Three Star series is secure, since it has been around for many decades; the shop opened in 1847, if I remember correctly. It's going to be odd shopping for pipe tobacco. Hopefully this won't start in full force for a year or two, although the blenders may adjust in advance, just to stabilize their business plans. I'm not someone who can only smoke three or four specific blends, but like all of us, I have reveled in having an unending parade of new and exotic blends or single-leaf to choose among. Now it may be like the Soviet department story; you can buy a shirt in gray or black, and the gray is out of stock. I guess I'd rather be a damned fool optimist than all gloomy about it, but it's not cheering me up.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Not worried at all, I have cellared deep, taking advantage of all sales over the last couple of years. I am good to go, well not quite, off to finish out the Lowland series.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Has anyone posted an explanation of why the 2007 date was picked? If there's been one I've missed it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though my stash is modest, I am a very moderate smoker, and I have a pleasing array of blends in unopened tins and jars. I can coast along for several years or more. It's the pleasure of having my run of new and interesting creations, trying this an revisiting that, and mixing a few originals when the spirit moves me. So, though I may have what I need, it won't be the same. Maybe scarcity will make it all (the tobacco) wonderful. Grumble.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Relax everyone, this stuff by the FDA is no different than the weather bureau saying it's going to snow 50 inches in two days and it never happens but is done to clean out grocery stores of old stock. The same with tobacco, all this is being done to clean out old stock that does not sell due to all the new blends coming out all the time. Then the law suits will stop all of this and the manufacturers will go back to doing business as usual.
In either case, I'm set for like 50 years so no worries here.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What? You gentlemen don't like having your lives interfered with and directed from afar by appointed officials?
(And the world's news organizations continue to act astonished by "Brexit" and why people like Marine Le Pen and Donald Trump keep popping up. Isn't the 21st century gonna be fun? )

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
And the world's news organizations continue to act astonished by "Brexit" and why people like Marine Le Pen and Donald Trump keep popping up.
NOT to get political but yes, there is a backlash occurring.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Relax everyone, this stuff by the FDA is no different than the weather bureau saying it's going to snow 50 inches in two days and it never happens but is done to clean out grocery stores of old stock. The same with tobacco, all this is being done to clean out old stock that does not sell due to all the new blends coming out all the time. Then the law suits will stop all of this and the manufacturers will go back to doing business as usual.
My thoughts exactly. 1. its not even Aug. 8, 2016 yet so why know? 2. manufacturers and retailers have until Aug. 8, 2018 to make and sell tobacco until its required to be tested/permitted etc. So why stop this now? Seems a bit silly at this point when you still have 2 years.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
manufacturers and retailers have until Aug. 8, 2018 to make and sell tobacco until its required to be tested/permitted etc.
My guess is that most of these blends probably require several weeks to prepare and are given some time to age. So, to plan for everything to be sold in August, one must make it in April and sell it from May-June...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
But they don't have to be sold in August of this year. They've got two years, so why discontinue popular selling blends so early in the process? Even considering time for manufacturing blends you still have well over a year to make and sell these blends.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The issue isn't the blends, it's the practice of mixing bulk tobaccos in-house. That's why they're being phased out. We will make more to allow people to get what they can, but we've been advised by counsel not to continue blending tobaccos on site once the regulations go into effect on August 8th.
Russ

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Sorry to hear it Russ. Thanks for jumping in to clarify. Sad damn state of affairs.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
we've been advised by counsel not to continue blending tobaccos on site once the regulations go into effect
Ouch!
Russ, your blends are brilliant and I hope they find other ways of getting to the light.
No comment on the FDA except "What would Thomas Jefferson do?"

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Sitting on the porch smoking a cob loaded with Half & Half to prepare myself for the doom of the post 2007 tobacco availability

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Russ, is there any difference between P&C blending "on site" and someone like Lane or Peterson doing the same? Are you saying it's a bulk vs. tins situation? Is it different for them since they're a different kind of business model, or because they're made outside the US? Will international blends be subject to the same regulations? Sorry for all the questions; just trying to wrap my head around it all. Legal speak doesn't click well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.