PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
This is my first blend from Russ O. at Pipes and Cigars. A latakia forward English with Izmir and sweet Virginias. It is listed as mild/med English, I would classify this blend as a mild English with well rounded flavor that smokes cool, stays lit the entire bowl and has a wonderful flavor during retrohale.
This English in my opinion would be a perfect blend for a new pipe smoker moving from aromatics that wanted to try something different. The latakia is up front but it is not over powering in any respect. For this reason I feel new smokers moving to English blends would find it a nice, smooth transition.
Upon opening the bag, the pouch note was that of a typical English, but on a mild note. I found the tobacco to be a bit dry, but it smoked cool and needed no re lights. I have smoked this blend for several nights now while walking the dog, and tonight it burned to a fine white ash with no noticeable flavor change as the bowl burned down. This was a first for me with any blend.
Over all, this a nice mild/med English with good flavor throughout the entire bowl. If you are new to English blends give this one a try. I will be trying a few other blends from Russ, Mountain Pass is a keeper for me.
Thanks for reading,

Carbon

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like Russ's "dry" blends. Easy to light and smoke all day, like shag. This one struck me as Latakia-flavored but not too heavy. A nice smoke for meandering among the hills and valleys.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
If this is your first from Russ you don't know what your missing. All of his english/balkan blends appear to be dry but they are at the absolute perfect humidity and smoke amazingly well.
You really need to try Blackhouse, White Knight and Magnum Opus.
I'll be ordering some of this Mountain Pass as it sounds great and as far as blenders go Russ is one of my absolute favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.