Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My first bowl of Rum Flake lasted about 2 minutes. Then I dumped it in the pond. The fish grabbed and spit it back at me. What am I going to do with 2 ounces of this "never effing again"? I can set it aside and hope that I will grow to like the taste of cheap soap" in my tobacco. And my wife says after I return inside for some Blackwood, you smell like rotten pickles. WTH?

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I can relate, am stuck with an oz of War Horse Bar and there is nobody around to take it off my hands.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I can relate, am stuck with an oz of War Horse Bar and there is nobody around to take it off my hands.

Are you talking about the original 1 ounce plug of War Horse? or the re-released STG War Horse Bar?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I must really be desensitized to that stuff cause I don't taste it at all in Rum Flake. I still enjoy scented flakes but I have really slowed down on smoking them. I find that I enjoy them more as a treat rather than an everyday smoke. I prefer blends like Condor and St. Bruno and see them as a more refined version of a Lakeland scented baccy.
I'm sure someone would be happy to trade you for it.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
G&H tobacco's would be much better without cross contamination of lakeland flavours onto everything it makes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
There's really no such thing as wasted pipe tobacco. One man's yuck is another man's ambrosia! Trading or donating is the way to go- someone, somewhere will get some enjoyment out of it.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I am going to give it a few days or weeks and try again with a different pipe. I do not give up easily and I do like Grousemoor... This soapy taste was overwhelming but maybe it was because I had Mexican food earlier. Dunno. Otherwise, I will throw it into the pay it forward thread.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I've found that with G&H the cross contamination varies from batch to batch, it does frustrate me. The first pouch of louisiana flake I bought was a delightful VaPer with hints of chocolate whilst the second tasted of nothing but tonquin.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes the inevitable fading of the aromatic flavoring will mellow and improve a blend greatly, especially if there is a base of quality Virginia. I'd jar that two ounces and put it in the back of the cabinet for another day, about three or four years from now.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
More for me. I feel lucky to have it.

ben-0913-600x448.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm with ya on that, Sallow... It's amazing stuff. Still haven't had it out of the tin as I prefer to buy in bulk when I have the option. I wouldn't mind getting a few tins of the stuff though.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@hawky454, I have tried the bulk once and the flavor was not as defined as in the tin. I find this to be an inconsistent smoke anyway, in terms of how much topping is present. Either way the tobacco is top shelf.
I once smoked a tin of this and it was so sweet I couldn't believe it. I don't know if that will ever be replicated for me, but I keep trying.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
What do you want? I have a huge stash of Latakia blends I'll probably never smoke - that I would trade for the G&H - or the War Horse bar enthusiastically. I also have a few other things I do smoke that I'm sitting on.

Status
Not open for further replies.