PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
My favorite part of rubbing out coins is not rubbing out the centers of them. These centers are about the diameter of the bore of a lot of my pipes, and I like to stack them somewhere in the pipe when loading it up. Just checking to see if I'm the only one who does this.
(I post this at the risk of being called a philistine by you folders and stuffers)

From the moment you light the pipe, the cherry burns a deep V into the tobacco. And, everything that is centered is burned right away, without giving off a flavor except for maybe the first few seconds. The flavor comes from the surrounding tobacco heating up from the core of the cherry, giving off the essential oils and warmed fragrances of the tobacco. So, if you really wanted to savor the flavor of the coin's center, you would press it against the sides of the bowl. Try it and see if you get more flavor from int.
BTW, I just wad up coins and stuff them into my pipe. I don't give it a lot of ceremony.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
Personally, I'll never understand the fold and stuff folks. I've always had the best consistency from just rubbing it out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have some PS Stokkebye bullseye aging, but I don't smoke much coin. When I have, I just rub it out and try to get the amalgamation before I pack the pipe. I should give fold and stuff another try. I think picking out the centers and packing them separately is a bridge too far, but it is intriguing. I might try it just for sport, if I found myself with the extra time.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
With coins, I take two, center them on top of the bowl, place the tip of my finger in the center and push it in. I take flake strips, bend them in half and push them in or with some, I'll cut them into cubes. I don't understand rubbing out flake. If I wanted ribbon cut tobacco, I'd buy it that way. To each their own though.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've found that each flake has its own demands.
PS LBF will endure F&S when I smoke it, but I get best flavor from rubbing it out.
The MB ODF gets a great deep flavor with F&S that seems a bit diminished rubbed out.
The GHCo DFu that I'm getting into seems to excel in cube cut form.
You owe it to yourself to put each flake through each format to find the best results for YOU!
Don't cheat you. That's everyone else's job.... :lol:
jay-roger.jpg

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I like the ball up method for coins, seems to get good flavor for my Escudo. I have trouble some times with fold and stuff and keeping my tobacco lit and keeping a good air flow after I tamp a few times. Usually have to send a pipe cleaner through the stem to push the tobacco out of the draw hole. Maybe I'm tamping too hard?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Maybe the tobacco is too wet? I dry my flakes quite a bit. They're much easier to load dry than wet, at least for me. And then a lot easier to keep lit.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Back when I was able to smoke 3 Nuns, I had a number of pipes that accepted those coins perfectly. I think I smoke smaller pipes these days. Even the Savinelli VaPer coins need prep.

Mike S.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Usually have to send a pipe cleaner through the stem to push the tobacco out of the draw hole.
Stuff and fold method is not as springy near the bottom, so you are probably tamping a bit hard. One trick to help with keeping airways clear is to stick a pipe cleaner thru draft hole prior to packing it, then withdraw it after it's filled. It sort of leaves an airway tunnel down there.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Depends on my mood as to what I will do with a flake. Variety is the spice of life.
Same here. Sometimes fully rubbed, sometimes fold and stuff, sometimes half and half. I used to rub out LBF to spread the cavendish around, but I found I missed those surprise moments when that sweetspot ignited as a whole piece, so now it's strictly fold and stuff.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
@pipesticks, thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it next time with the pipe that gives me trouble, and attempt the fold and stuff method again! I do love the way those coins look!
I'm also partial to broken flakes. Do you guys smoke those as is, slightly folded, or always rubbed out? Or is it however you're feeling same as the coin?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only broken flake I smoke is Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved and I cube cut that one. It is like beef jerky and very dense so it cubes up very nicely.
For coins it depends, I either fold and stuff or cube cut into good size cubes. I never rub out a flake.

Jan 8, 2013
There is nothing I enjoy more than rubbing one out.
Classic Peck :rofl:
I roll the coins into little balls and pack them that way.
Interesting. I never would have thought of that approach, but may try. I was going to add some Bullseye Flake to my order from SP last night but it's out of stock. I might try another retailer. I've recently acquired a couple of pipes that smoke fold and stuffed flakes very well so I've been re-exploring flakes.
I'm also partial to broken flakes. Do you guys smoke those as is, slightly folded, or always rubbed out?
Broken flakes such as McClelland's being literally broken up chunks of flakes, I've always just rubbed out. I've recently been enjoying Low Country Waccamaw which is classified as broken flake, but most of it is still mostly intact, broken lengthwise, so I'll take a few pieces and stick them together to fold and stuff like a regular flake.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I am not sure you can my approach a method. I just kind of bunch them up and rough them up a bit and then I jam them in so there is a bit of a air pocket at the bottom

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
The air pocket is a must. First time I smoked LBF I over stuffed, and couldn't keep the tobacco lit. Then another time I took two of coins of Escudo, rolled in my palm and stuffed one on top of the other. It was everything I was hoping for in a smoke, flavor, creamy (with that hint of spice).
And this morning I took the some Waccamaw and cube cut it...perfection. I typically rub it out as well, but thought I'd try the suggestion above. Had a few relights but mostly because I was chasing a kid around the driveway, otherwise smoked smooth and was full of flavor. Very good tobacco to start the day. And it went perfect with my coffee. I will be doing that more often with my broken flakes in different pipes and see if I get the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.