PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
So what is your take on rubber tips? Is this the new hype or something that should be done for practical reasons. Tell me what you think.
zofp3l.jpg

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I'm new to pipe smoking and only have two pipes, a MM cobb and a Dr. Grabow (I know big spender).
I don't know how practical it is, but I tried one and it made it much easier for me to hold the pipes in my mouth comfortably.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
LOVE LOVE LOVE them. It was one of the first bits of advice I recieved. Saves on the tooth marks and is so comfortable.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
And they promote/stimulate salivation, which is a very good thing when smoking a pipe.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I use softy bits but I always cut off the lip on them as otherwise they feel too thick and unnatural.

Cutting off that little section makes a big difference in the way they feel.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I prefer heat-shrink tubing - it's thinner than those latex bits, but still enough to provide some cushion.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I like them, as I also like to clench and prefer a bit of heft to my stem. I do push them down past the button to make them more comfortable. They appear to be designed to fit over and protect the button, but, if I had to use them that way, I'd take them off!

bigjohn

Lurker
Aug 17, 2014
Makes clenching so much easier and more comfortable. I have them on all of my pipes and a bag of spares too!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I use them for all my clenchers. If you trim the thick end off of the softy bit, they still work just same and are nearly the same thickness of the stem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't like them on most pipes. Good for MM cobs with the standard plastic stems to keep them from getting chewed up.

Good for sensitive teeth, to keep from chipping enamel or dental work; if you have problems that way, probably good on

all pipes. Good for people who mostly clench, although it can make the grip a little less certain (to me). Some make them

out of tubing cut to length, but the regular ones are so cheap, and take up so little space, I don't bother. Don't love 'em,

don't hate 'em. Glad to know they are there when needed or wanted. Mostly, I haven't used them.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
In my personal opinion, the main point to consider when adopting this habit, has very little to do with making the bite more comfortable, or not leaving tooth marks in your stem (which is a bonus), but the fact it stimulates salivation. This is the main reason why I will clench the pipe with my teeth (either with a rubber tip or without it) instead of holding it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I prefer heat-shrink tubing - it's thinner than those latex bits, but still enough to provide some cushion.
Yes, there are some who have tried, and or use heat shrink tubing but I’m somewhat leery of the health aspects of using such a material. Also, you would be quite surprised how much saliva accumulates under that materially and also the softy bits after just one smoke. I’m admittedly and somewhat anal retentive when it come to cleanliness/sanitation, but I always remove the softy bit after a smoke and wipe off the end of the stem with alcohol and also clean the softy bit with alcohol.
By the way, and for what it’s worth, softy bits are not made of latex.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My dental hygienist strongly recommended them, as I've got a bunch of dental work to take care of.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I have a couple of pipes with them but the rest of my pipes I don't bother. Took some getting use to for me, they do help when chomping down on some stems.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I ave a combination of strong clinch and very sharp teeth. I have ruined too many stems the replacements of which were just not the same. I use them on all my pipes. I am experimenting with cut to length tubing.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I don't really clench. I smoke mostly straight pipes and the pipes are a sort of lever in my mouth, with my bottom jaw as the fulcrum. So no, I don't use these. I also think they're hideous, though I suppose if you're a clencher the practicality might outweigh the aesthetic imbalance.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have some on order, th y seem to be taking a lifetime to arrive.. Will let you know my thoughts when they finally get here

Status
Not open for further replies.