PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
This soup is delicious! I make it a little different every time I prepare it: sometimes I add shrimp, sometimes potatoes, maybe clams, and I always at least double the amount of jalapenos (fresh ones are typically not very hot). I'm pretty sure it's soup weather right now just about anywhere in the U.S. (except for maybe Hawaii). Bon appetite!!
Royers’ Round Top Café Jalapeno Cheese Soup
¼ pound butter

1 tsp baking soda

¾ C flour

6 Tbsp cornstarch

1 ½ qts water

16 chicken bouillon cubes (crushed)

4-5 fresh jalapenos, finely chopped

6 C milk

16 oz sliced American cheese

1 medium onion, finely chopped

½ stalk celery, finely chopped

½ C carrot, finely chopped
* To make roux, melt butter in skillet. Add baking soda, flour, and cornstarch. Mix together until it thickens.

* In a 10-quart stockpot, bring the water, crushed chicken bouillon, and the jalapenos to a boil.

* Add the roux to the boiling water, and stir until the roux thickens and begins to boil.

* Add the milk to the boiling mixture, and stir until the milk is completely mixed into the mixture.

* Turn heat down to medium-low.

* Add the sliced cheese, one slice at a time, and continue to stir until cheese is completely melted.

* Add the vegetables to the soup, and turn off the burner.

Soup will keep for two days in refrigerator.

Yield: 1 ¾ gallon.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Geez that makes a ton of soup - sounds great, but I'd be cutting that recipe in half

rangerearthpig

Jan 5, 2014
Geez that makes a ton of soup - sounds great, but I'd be cutting that recipe in half

Yes, it does make quite a bit. The guy who came up with it uses it at his little café. My boys have never let it sit around long, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.