PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
So I bought a tin of Royal yacht a while back at the B&M. It has steadily risen up to become one of the most frequent tobaccos in my rotation. I murdered that first tin. Then another. Then another.
First, I liked it a lot.
Before long, it became my "go-to" for a first bowl of the day.
Shortly after that, it became an absolute staple of my morning.
Then, I couldn't face a day without my morning Royal Yacht.
Now It's not only a complete necessity for my first bowl of the day (currently on my 3rd bowl of it today), but also a regular player throughout the rest of the day as well. If I could only have 3 tobacco blends for the rest of my life, one of them would undoubtedly be the Yacht. If I could only have one ... well it would be a contender for the prize.
So I'm putting together my monthly tobacco order soon and trying to decide what I want to get this month. I'm looking for suggestions for other tobaccos that may share some similarities with the Yacht. What say you, RY fanatics? What else in your rotation is similar to RY that you enjoy? I'm looking for something in the VA/VAPER vein, with a good dose of vitamin N and a full but smooth flavor.
Thanks.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Cosmic, as far as plugs go I've had Wessex Gold Brick, Triple Play, and Jackknife. Jackknife is one of my other 3 "top blends". So I feel pretty comfortable with plugs I think.
I've not heard of Yachtsman, but I have heard of Condor and Warrior. I will look at these more closely along with the Peterson UF that Andy suggests.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I recommend Irish Flake instead of University Flake. While the latter's topping is closer to the flavor profile you seek, the former's strength and flavor is closer to Royal Yacht. It's a shame, University Flake could be superb if only it had a bit more punch; it feels muted.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
You're making me want to break out my Royal Yacht again. It may not be exactly what you're looking for but It's got a fantastic nic hit. Old Joe Krantz by C&D, it's a VaBurPer, I think...

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
Thanks Hawky, I'm all stocked up on OJK :)
r, I'll be checking in to the IF, thanks.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have a cellar of over 50 blends, pounds of some of them, but I seldom smoke anything but Royal Yacht. My suggestion is don't fight it, just buy RY and be happy.

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
Haddo's shares that plummy flavor with Royal Yacht, IMHO. Might try that if you haven't...

With my plugs that I suggested, I was just putting them in the same flavor profiles. Wessex is good stuff, but it's a straight Virginia. Now WarHorse is very similar to Royal Yacht in that is also derived from those Irish plugs. While P&C are running a great deal on it right now, the plug version should be coming out soon.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Rattray'so Wallace flake. Similar in taste. Definitely an awesome smoke. I generally smoke Yacht then Wallace.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Get an ounce of Lane's BCA, add a tablespoonful to a full tin of RY, mix well, jar it for a week. Makes a kick-ass aro that won't bite, goop or ghost.
If you like VaPers, there's none better than Dunhill DNR. Escudo is a close second but not quite as smooth.
Dunhill Flake is an awesome straight VA.
Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation 1931 Flake is a full-bodied natural aro that smokes cool and dry.
GL Pease's Virginia Cream is a so-so full-bodied natural aro, but mixed 3:2 or 2:1 with Lane's BCA it's heavenly.
Dunhill Nightcap is the only English you ever need bother smoking, it's the motherlode, the mackdaddy.
What I'm saying is, don't try finding something like RY (because there isn't any), go for something full-bodied which is a completely different taste. A rotation needs contrasting blends, not competing blends. That's how it enhances the taste experience of each.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Oh, and Bringhams Hudson Harbor is a Royal Yacht lookalike.
It's actually supposed to be a match. According the Pipestud, Brigham's has way more of a nic hit to it, so I would put it at the top of the short list to try. I've tried it and it had my head spinning.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Must be some mistake. First of all it's Hudson Bay not Harbor. Second of all it's a coarse broken flake not a ribbon cut. Third of all it's not cased with anything close to RY. Fourth of all it's got a fraction of RY's nic. They taste and smoke nothing alike. Not even remotely is it a match for RY.

My bad on the name, shutter, but it has the same or more nic and tastes exactly the same. I didn't find RY to be overwhelming by any means. I also propose a side by aside taste test with a few Irish plugs. Not a Petersons or a GLP or a Virginia plug, but one of those old fashioned plugs. While the plugs are not exactly the same as RY, you'll see that the tastes is similar enough to get an idea what RY was going for with their flavor profile.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What else in your rotation is similar to RY that you enjoy?
Similar? Nothing compares to Royal Yacht.
But you might enjoy Rattray Hal O' The Wynd. Not as strong as RY, but similar good Virginia flavor.
I'd also mention Former Straight Grain Flake. Delicious!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
but it has the same or more nic
It would seem the majority are in agreement with me the Brigham is much weaker in the nic department than RY.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/Brigham/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=124056

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/7868/brigham-enterprises-inc-hudsons-bay

Status
Not open for further replies.