PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I just smoked Royal Yacht for the first time and I thought I'd post my impressions--not really a review since I'm a bit new to pipe smoking and don't know all the lingo.
I was attracted to this blend because of all the polarized reviews I've seen posted online. It certainly seems to inspire a love/hate reaction in most smokers.
I'll just begin by saying I really like this blend. The tin note was a bit overpowering: a fermented, plum aroma as many reviews had predicted. The plum was subtle--not like the aromatics I've smoked. It was almost more like a wine / port scent.
The tobacco wasn't too wet, and it smoked better than any blend I've tried so far. I actually smoked the bowl to the bottom without a single relight, which is not something I have done before, and I don't even try to do that, since I don't at all mind relighting my pipe. That seems preferable to smoking it too hot. But the RY almost seemed to burn on it's own, even occasionally glowing red in the bowl when I wasn't puffing at all. (I was smoking in the dark.) So even though I don't mind relighting, that was a pleasant surprise, especially since I was smoking outside and only using matches. It was nice not to have to fight the wind.
This is the first tobacco that I've smoking that seemed really "strong" for lack of a better word. Irish Flake is a bit more robust as far as nicotine content, but surprisingly mellow as far as the taste went. Similarly, I've smoked some Latakia blends which were quite flavorful, but didn't really taste strong. The flavor itself was not overwhelming--just a nice, rich tobacco flavor with a hint of plum. That said, the smoke was a bit spicy, and had a bite to it. It was a bit more bracing exhaling the smoke through my nose, and once the smoke mad me cough a little when I accidentally inhaled it a wee bit. The plum was still quite subtle--only prominent in the retrohale and the aftertaste. I think it was this vague spiciness (I assume due to the African Virginias) that I found most satisfying about the smoke. It made this a different experience than other blends I've tried.
I think I have a decent tolerance for nicotine, but this was one of the more potent blends I've tried. I'd still say it's not quite as strong as Peterson's Irish Flake.
Anyway, this is probably moved into the place of my favorite robust blend. It's not really THAT out there, but there are many difficult-to-describe nuances to the blend that make it enjoyable to me. Even as I write this I'm noticing an interesting pleasant, nutty aftertaste.
Anyway, thanks for reading, those who did. :) I still haven't smoked a pipe tobacco that I didn't like, so the pipe-smoking journey has been a pleasant one. Next up to try is Dunhill Nightcap.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
Royal Yacht is my go to blend, I keep six tins on hand at all times. The nicotine is inviting first thing in the morning, I'm also an ex-cig smoker. This was the first blend I've found that helped with my cravings.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One day I'll crack that tin. It's so famous and infamous. I expect to like it, liking full-strength blends. The unusual flavoring is a unique feature, loved by some, distasteful to others.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
One day I'll crack that tin. It's so famous and infamous. I expect to like it, liking full-strength blends. The unusual flavoring is a unique feature, loved by some, distasteful to others
When that day comes please let us know and tell us your thoughts on it. I would love to hear your impressions of RY.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Royal Yacht is my go-to and -from blend. I find it most enjoyable when I've rested from it for a few days or even weeks. It's not a very complex smoke, and perhaps for that reason I tend to grow weary of it and need a break.
I agree it's the one for a quick, hard nic hit. It does burn clean and easy all the way down, but so do all Dunhill's blends I've tried. I believe it's a combination of Dunhill's consistent ribbon cut and the perfect moisture level of every tin.
Like all of Dunhill's blends, RY is Va-based, and as such if you puff too fast it can taste like a stale Gauloise and even bite. It doesn't need to be sipped quite as lethargically as their Flake, but it pays to take it easy.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Royal Yacht is an excellent blend.
I'm halfway down my first tin and although I'm not quite as excited as I was when I first tried it (I was almost ecstatic) It is still a blend I really, really enjoy. The nic content is a nice bonus too...
I'm starting to get the feeling that although I enjoy a ample selection of blends, I could make do with just Early Morning Pipe, Deluxe Navy Rolls, Royal Yacht and Carter Hall.

Ha ha, I had to look up what a Trabant was... stylish.

trabant10.jpg

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Royal Yacht: I smoked it in the 1970's as my trade off blend from 965; and I liked it despite getting my butt kicked.

The current version, I like as well and it is a bit more civilized but still very tasty.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
That's ^ the Turbo. The standard Trabi has one less horsepower.
Ha! My day has been enriched.
I've been smoking for a while now...suppose it's time to finally give the old Yacht a spin. Frankly, I've been avoiding it due to my low tolerance for nicotine, but it seems like something I'll have to try at least once.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Interesting reading all of the replies! I'm glad these forums exist; I don't have many friends with which to discuss my love of pipe tobacco!
if you puff too fast it can taste like a stale Gauloise and even bite. It doesn't need to be sipped quite as lethargically as their Flake, but it pays to take it easy.
I did get a bit of the Gauloise / Cig flavor right at the end due to puffing too fast. I always smoke a bit too fast when I'm cold outside.

I have to try this. Sounds awesome at least on a visual level!

Yes, I find walking down to the dark vacant lot on the corner while smoking a pipe clears my mind. And it does look cool smoking in the dark with that red glow down in the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.