PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not in the market for any new pipes, but in an email from Smokingpipes.com, the Vintage line pipes really caught my eye, particularly the "Stout" pipes. $70 with horn stems, all around 35 grams in weight. Has anyone purchased one of these? The finish combinations are really distinctive.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Ropp/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=235135
002-598-4084.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I purchased a Ropp Vintage a little over a year or so back. It was one of the Ropp's that SmokingPipes found in a barn or old warehouse or something. It smoking like a wet sock. I just couldn't tame it. The horn stem and the rest of the pipe were really nice for fit and finish.
I gifted the pipe and the new owner loves it, go figure.
The one you show looks fantastic.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't had one of those, but I'd say to be sure you like horn stems. Usually, they're fairly thick and they often have a "salty" taste to them. I've sold all but one of my horn-stemmed pipes for those reasons.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The bits even look too thick in the pictures, burt for the price, these pipes are otherwise attractive.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
I like mine. It's a little black bulldog with an ivory horn bit. With horn, the stems are thick for a reason. You are holding compressed hair between your teeth, after all. It softens. Requires a gentle bite. I'm not a dedicator of pipes, as a rule, but I'd recommend dedicating the pipe as the stem will hold the flavor of what you are smoking to delightful effect.
I say go for it. I'll take it off your hands if you don't care for it. Discounted, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.