PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
So, on eBay and saw a pipe that I really liked, but didn't win. Can not find this pipe anywhere online for sale.
Hoping someone may be able to help me get some info on it, like model number or even contact info for ROPP. Thought they'd have a website but not finding it.
The eBay listing was from France, and the description was "Superb pipe ROPP billiard unsmocked new neuve" and that's all. No more info. I did save the photos to my desktop.
Any ideas where I can find a new/unused one? Or very similar, like a bent stem which is maybe even better. Thanks.
Ropp02_zps33ac707d.jpg

Ropp01_zps4e3bda62.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can't see the image. Is this it?
http://ns1.holidays.net/store/Superb-Pipe-Ropp-Billiard-Unsmocked-New-Neuve_271646785795.html

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I understand that the Ropp factory closed in 1991. They were known for their cherry wood pipes but this one is a different wood. Pear or olive? I hope some of the wood working experts here can identify it.

That tight straight grain looks very cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the SP Ropp pipes are described as an old factory lot that they purchased. All of them

are standard briars but might interest the traditionalists among us. Some fine classic bulldogs,

among others.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Ya I like that plywood look... didn't know ROPP was no longer in business, though explains the lack of finding a website.
Sadly also means I likely lost my chance at getting one. I saw it posted, then reposted, but the 2nd repost started some bidding and well, I obviously didn't get it.
I'm not a big fan of cherry/walnut which seems to be 90% of the pipes out there. I'd rather something like this, or a really nice grain and smokey grey stain, which I have found a few that I liked, but disliked the price tags. :D

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Another nice one, also ROPP, I can find in Google Image and I guess same company on eBay sold it a while back, is also on my want list. Also 0 info apart from ROPP
mWiri5pevl5Q6kF67-vP5NA.jpg

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
If you are looking for a grey stained Ropp Iwan Ries has a couple of styles on sale for half price at $45. I've never smoked one but the price is certainly right.
http://www.iwanries.com/Half-Price-Pipes-C2163.cfm

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I was just looking at those from a link in another thread. Not bad, but don't look grey to me... kinda an off black, or maybe navy... not sure if navy is the style, model or colour for those.
Grey wise, I'm looking for something with a grey stain and grain like a guitar
http://www.aues21.dsl.pipex.com//images/Ibanez%20ART320%20TGB.gif

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Old post but wanted to post an update.
Turns out, the guy who won that ROPP on eBay, was my friend. Bought it and held onto it for months waiting for my birthday. Met up today for a belated birthday drink at a pub (we live a few hours apart) and handed me the pipe.
... I'll never smoke it. Can't bring myself to smoke an pipe that's remained unsmoked that many years. :D
Ropp%20Pipe%20002_zpsnmggyakv.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I believe that your friend would want you to smoke it. That is why he bought it for you. Nice pipe. Someone gave me a Ropp pipe recently also.

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
I'll still keep my eBay notifications on for ROPP pipes being posted... if I see another I'll get/use it.
Still after another one like this, but the layers of wood went vertical, instead of horizontal. Be a hard find though given I don't think a popular style and the company has been out of production for what, 20-25yrs?

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
I have the bent apple mate to that one. It has a saddle stem and the laminations run side to side on the bowl instead of top to bottom. Quite striking. I had no idea of the age when I bought it so I went ahead and smoked it. Seems to be fine. This is the one you're talking about but I don't know how many of these exist.
ropp-bent-600x272.jpg

throbinson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 19, 2014
Zurich, ON (Canada)
Yup, that's the one... saw one 1-2 months ago on eBay for sale, but didn't bid because was saving my money for the other one. Had I known my friend bought it for me already, I'd have both.
Saw another company that made the same pipes, but, every other stripe in the wood was either red, green or orange... the addition of colour made it a truly ugly pipe. Wish I bookmarked it though... can't recall the price but if cheap enough, may have been worth while sanding it down to see if removed the colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.