PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Smokingpipes.com just put up nearly 2 dozen Ropp horn stem pipes all under $100 in case you missed out last time, cheers.

banjo

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Got one. I had been on the fence about picking one up last time these showed up, money being tight and all, but today I went with the impulse.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Does anyone know what to expect from the draw on these? I own only one French pipe, a Breuyer St. Claude eXtra, and it has a fairly restricted draw.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
robwoodall, will be firing mine up today and report back, would have done it yesterday but wet weather is not ideal for standing in with a new pipe, cheers.

banjo

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Rob,
Here's a reply to this question posted by northernneil:
Can anyone with one of the sp Ropp's comment on the airway drilling? Are these drilled with a narrow bore leading to a tight draw and potentially a wet smoke? Anyone know what they use for the tenon on the horn stemmed pipes?
On the three I have, all drilling is spot on. All pipes easily take a fluffy pipe cleaner and the spacing between the tenon and mortise is excellent. Finally, the Ropp's I got from SP.com did not come with stingers, and we're not drilled for one.
Another by Darwin:
Bigpond the tenon on the SP "vintage" Ropps appears to be a Delrin insert in the stem. I have a bitty shag pipe version and the draw is fine if not quite as open as is now common practice. The button is tiny, so much so that I had to use a piece of silicone tubing as a "softy" since even small size 9mm commercial versions are too large. The thing probably only weighs half an ounce.
The full thread can be found here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ropp-briar-pipes-worth-the-buy

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
For some reason the new server won't let me post two pics in the same post.
I titled up to this cutty, the only cutty listed by the time I saw Banjo's heads-up.
8t5EZq3.jpg

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
All right, you've talked me into it!
I bought the horn shank Rhodesian:
ropp-rhodesian.jpg

And the Bonaparte Bent Bulldog, just because I'm still looking for a bent pipe to fit the little space in my truck. I forgot to download an image of the Bulldog, and it's now disappeared from the site.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Damn! Those are sweet looking. Right after my last post I packed the Ropp with some 10 y/o Stonehaven and lit it up while grilling some beautiful strip steaks. The smoke was incredible and no funny taste from the stem, it is more rounded forward of the button but very comfortable with nearly the same feel in the mouth as my 1917 Dunhill Shell with ivory spot ebonite stem, wide open draw, just lovely and a bargain at the price. I wish you both nothing but great smokes and fond memories with your new horn stem Ropp pipes, enjoy.

banjo

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Rob,
You should get a thumbnail pic of the bent bulldog with your order confirmation via email. All I did was save those pics.
Sjfine,
What did you get?

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Sure did, johnnyreb!
I just hadn't received it at the time of my last post. Here is the Bulldog:
bonapart-bent-bulldog.jpg

It doesn't have the horn stem, but I specifically needed that shape.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I guess I'll find out!
I just bought it because it was unusual..
Plus, as .8 ounce, I assume I won't have to clench it very hard.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I purchased a Ropp straight billiard with a horn stem last time around. It is super light, the chamber is about a Dunhill 3 size. The horn stem is a little soft, which is to say I put a tooth mark in it the first time I smoked it. But it is an excellent pipe, the engineering is perfect, and I can run a pipe cleaner all the way into the chamber. Mine was well worth the money!

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
What does a horn stem feel like when clenching?
I find the clench to be quite nice. The horn is rather soft, making it very comfortable but also delicate. With heavy use, I would expect the stem may need to be replaced sooner than a more common material. As rigmedic said above, tooth marks appear almost instantly.
The only other comment I would add is that the 3 horn stemmed Ropp's I purchased have round, narrow stems, different then the wide flat stems more commonly seen. I find this to be a nice change from my regular pipes, but it my throw some people off.
All and all, I have been very happy with my Vintage Sandblast Ropp Pipes with horn stems.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I got this one (although I am thinking that I should have picked up Rob's Rhodesian).
002-598-1836.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
sjfine, I like the longer shank and shorter stem which looks like a has a less rounded profile by the button, should be very easy to clench if you do.

banjo

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I bought one of the small bulldogs when these first came available. Just a lovely little pipe and a fine smoker.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I am excited about it, Banjo. And I do clench with a light touch.
I have a question, though. Part of my excitement comes from the history of these Ropps. Does anyone have any indication - other than the blurb at SP.com - that these are from the earlier part of the 20th century? For example, did Ropp stop using bone for stems at some point? I have tried to research this on my own, but there is scant information out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.