PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I'm a big fan of Peterson Irish Flake and am waiting on some Sam Gawith Brown no 4. I've read about how strong it is and how moist it comes. Do you smoke rope tobacco? Which ones do you like and how do you prepare and smoke them?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
GH&Co's Brown Bogie for the win. :D
Shave into a shag (1mm slices) using a SHARP chef's knife on a cutting board, then "fluff" the discs---replicate the texture of Kendal Kentucky, in other words---and it will burn well without much drying.
Massive flavor & serious nick-O-teen kick. For Manly Men only. 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Slice them, let them dry to suit yourself, and fold or rub them out. If Brown is a little heady, temper it with a lower octane leaf or blend. I enjoyed some Black a while back. It's worth the effort. I admit, I prefer plug, leaf or coin, but you should try some rope.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
The Brown no 4 will be my first rope and I'm looking forward to experimenting with it's preparation. Hopefully it won't knock me out as I do tend to be a slow smoker and will take my time, stopping myself before I get weak kneed. Thanks ks for the tips.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I love ropes! Haven't had any of the SG yet, but I've had the G&H brown ropes and they are heavenly. The strength of Irish Flake and more flavor.
I just got to try the Brown Bogie courtesy of a generous forum member, and it's amazing.
I have had to experiment with slicing thinly and packing appropriately in order to get it to smoke well. I hope you enjoy: the G&H ropes are my favorite. I'll soon try the SG.

Dec 3, 2015
From what I experienced with Brown No.4 I couldn't enjoy it in a traditional briar pipe, in a colonial style clay pipe though great stuff. Very heavy flavor, one bowl very satisfying, two bowl and wow what a nic kick.

hirsute

Lurker
Jun 10, 2015
I enjoy both GH Black Irish X and GH Rum Twist. Agree with the general comments above, especially about the Black Irish X--very strong, lots of nic, slice very fine. Also, I find Black Irish X really stinks up a pipe, so I have one dedicated to it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Motzek Strang comes from a micro tobacconist in Germany. Use google translate assuming you don't speak German. The uncut rope seems to come around. He's apparently sold out so we are waiting to see what happens with his blends.
http://dein-tabak.de/

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
@Nate, thanks for the info! I'd love to try some one day. Hopefully there'll be some available soon.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Just trying to expand my experience, and this was my second attempt at preparing rope tobacco.
I have a length of Gawith and Hoggarth Sweet Whiskey Rope, and I used a sharp Chinese cleaver to cut four thin coins, then I rubbed them out and let them dry overnight. The process worked well, as I packed it this afternoon and it burned pretty smoothly with only the need for a couple relights.
As far as the tobacco itself, I'm more of an aromatic fan and I found this one a bit stronger than is my usual preference-almost a cigar-like quality to me. I'm probably not going to go back to this one too often, but I find preparing the rope to be a pretty cool and fun process.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only rope in my cellar is Peter Heinrichs Curly Block. It will age beautifully and be something very special in 5-10 years.

I have tried both SG XX and Brown rope no.4. To my tastes both were too smoky, meat type flavors that I just didn't enjoy. I wanted to like them because they were ropes and ropes are fun.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I have tried many of the ropes mentioned above. All are good in their own right, but now I mainly cut off a piece and chew them. Very satisfying in the car or when fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.