PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
I have heard about rope tobacco that is rolled into a rope shape and then you cut pieces off to smoke anybody ever had this any suggestions.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
The one I bought is quite strong, so I jarred I up. Hard to say when I'll try it again. I don't know if there's such a thing as a mild rope tobacco.

crimsonrat

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2014
Black XX is one of the ones I've tried. It's like smoking the charred part of a grilled burger, really different and neat.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I've had G&H Black Irish Twist, Brown Irish Twist, and Happy Brown Bogie and like the Bogie best. I got an unusual BBQed chicken over charcoal with black rope, not unpleasant.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Second the Brown Irish X. The nic comes up like thunder.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I smoke Sweet Coconut Twist. It's excellent and I don't like aros.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe on-and-off for decades and I'm not ready for rope. Maybe blended

with something else, to reduce the ringing in the ears. I do suspect it keeps forever, so you

have a long time to think it over, once you have it coiled safely in a jar. (I bet there's someone

on Forums who has it as an everyday smoke.)

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
For anyone interesting in trying out ropes don't fail to get yourself a cheapo three buck double-bladed cigar cutter. It makes clean cutting of thin even slices a trivial exercise with much less frustration than using a knife.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
One thing I haven't seen discussed regarding ropes is how incredibly cost effective they are. A less than 1/8" slice of Brown Irish X gets you about half a Grp. 1 bowl which results in at least a 20 minute smoke and a rock solid nic hit. The original 2 ounce bag I got included a piece an inch or so long and I've gotten six smokes in three weeks out of it and it's not used up yet. That should make the pound I now have cellared good for about half a decade.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had Gawith's Black and Brown ropes. Interestingly, the Brown is stronger. Word of caution, I left the ropes in their respective tins and forgot about them. When I finally reopened the tins months later the ropes had dried out and unraveled. I felt like I was dealing with the Dead Sea scrolls.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Smokingtexan unless you already have one don't forget to throw a cheapo cigar cutter in with your order.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
For those brave souls who want to give rope a try I strongly suggest that when you use your cigar cutter (preferred) or knife that you make a slice no bigger than 1/16" of an inch. If you look at this little coin and think it couldn't possibly be a decent sized smoke you are just flat wrong. When you break up a coin of rope it seems to grow in volume as if being fed from some weird tobacco fourth dimension. In any case the thin coin rubbed out will make about half a Grp. 1-2 bowl which is, believe it or not, more nic than you might really want to deal with.
If you cut yourself a 1/4" thick coin it will rub out to a full Grp. 2-3 bowl and be enough for a 45 minute smoke with enough nic to stun a musk ox. Have a care.

Status
Not open for further replies.