PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Out of curiosity I tried a sample of sweet coconut twist and found it very smooth. At first glance I wasn't sure how to prepare it so i took a razor and sliced off a half inch piece and then quartered that up and proceeded to rub it out.That did not work out so well as I wound up making balls. So I ended up picking it apart with my fingers and spreading it out on a small oval ceramic soap dish to dry as there was no way i could get this to smoke any other way.Anyone else have a better method?

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Half inch is too thick. I cut mine no more than 1/16th thick, which makes it rub out and much easier to light. I also do not dry them at all, but rub out and smoke right after cutting. Most people seem to like drying them, but I find the smoke too harsh.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@bryanf I am with you on that one. I always slice very fine so it needs very little rubbing out. Unwinding a rope is a futile and thankless task. I find slicing it fine gives a wonderfully cool smoke without any harshness. I am sure others will disagree but that's my 2 cents worth.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Ooh I love unwinding it, that's the best bit. It does make it a bit naff to smoke, but it's so satisfying. Like when you snip the end of a cigar off and rub that apart gently.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@anglesey - do you do that to cigars before you smoke them or after? Just curious! When I unwind rope I wind up using the Radio Times and a razor blade to slice the damned stuff up. You should see the state of my desk.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
It is a good excuse to get yourself a proper EDC (Every Day Carry) folding knife.
Mine came razor sharp from the factory.

Look into CRKT, Kershaw, SOG, or Benchmade.
Makes it easy and fun to slice near paper thin slices of rope, plug, or cake.

jon11

Oct 25, 2013
I slice my ropes with a cigar cutter, and cut them as thin as possible

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I am actually cutting up rope right now. What I do is wrap my rope up tight in grease proof paper so it doesn't unravel. I tend to use an old knackered 'cut throat' razor that I have kicking around the office. By shaving the rope you get a very fine back/brown tobacco. I then mix one part Condor and one part Tambolaka by mass to the finely sliced rope to create what I have christened the ultimate smoke. Its slow burning with a bowl full lasting at least 50 minutes, it is too strong to inhale and is absolutely guaranteed to make your secretary toss her cookies. The nicotine hit is out of this world and its recommended to smoke this on a full stomach after breakfast! It burns evenly and you are left with very little 'dottle' and a fine steel grey ash. By using 1/3rd of a pouch of Condor and mixing with the tobacco discussed above it stretches your Condor supply into infinity.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm going to give that Condor/Black Rope mixture a shot tonite. I don't have any Tambalouka.

Mar 1, 2014
-zekest
It is a good excuse to get yourself a proper EDC (Every Day Carry) folding knife.
Mine came razor sharp from the factory.

Look into CRKT, Kershaw, SOG, or Benchmade.
Makes it easy and fun to slice near paper thin slices of rope, plug, or cake.
Woah there, you didn't mention Spyderco? Sal (founder/owner) is basically on the forums every day. I haven't seen that level of interaction with the consumer anywhere else, ever. I buy his stuff just out of respect.
On topic: I haven't had good success with ropes either (it seemed like more of a fire retardant than something that you burn), but I was probably still slicing it too thick. I'll aim for a shag cut next time I take a slice off the Brown Bogie.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
So who makes this coconut rope? Rope is something I haven't ventured in to.

Regarding rope slicing tools, I quit carrying my 1st gen Spyderco Delica a few years back as I figured I had the only one left with the plastic pocket clip still intact. Every time I use the pos Gerber I bought to replace it I remember the shaving (yes, literally) edge I could keep on that old aus-8 blade. I bought the Delica around 1994 for $40 from a gun show in Phoenix. Now I see they're about double or triple that. I'll get another one someday. Hmmm, Fathers Day is coming up, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.