PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
So I've only taken to full time pipe smoking, whereas I previously enjoyed my pipe on the occasional smoke at home.
So I used to smoke Port Royal Rum & Wine rolling tobacco, and when I had a bit left to finish, I decided to smoke it from my cheap briar. Now it has this smell of stale ash, is there a way to get rid of that smell?
Also, my tobacconist suggested to me Peterson Irish Whisky, do you guys have any suggestions as to other blends I should try?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the forums.

It's hard to recommend pipe tobacco, since I have no idea what your tastes are. Peterson makes some decent pipe tobaccos; Irish Whiskey wasn't my thing, but you might enjoy it.

As for the smell,what do you expect your pipe to smell like when you're not smoking it? Not sure what the issue is.
I will give my standard advice, though: Smoke the best tobacco in the best pipes you can afford. It will increase your enjoyment.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
There's a distinct difference in the smell between pipe tobacco ash and rolling tobacco ash. The rollies ash smell bad, and the Petersons don't cause the same stale smell. The problem is that I tainted the pipe with that smell by trying to use up my rollies in the pipe.
Yeah, the tobacconist recommeded the Irish Whisky because my preferred rolling brand was infused with rum and wine.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Thanks guys. The old trusty is back in fine form (Yes, I've been using it on rare occasions for the last few years until I switched full time), besides the heavy tooth indentation in the middle (at the time I didn't know how to hold it in my mouth)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums. I liked Petersons Irish Whiskey after the heavy flavoring faded somewhat.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Jessicac:
Welcome to the club, Sir! May I recommend that you THOROUGHLY clean your pipe using Everclear 190-proof grain alcohol and lots of pipe-cleaners. Once it is completely dry fill its bowl and shank with baking soda, and let it sit undisturbed for 30-days, then dump and re-clean. I find that this treatment will exorcise even the most stubborn ghosts of stinky-smokes-past.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
It's not sir btw ;)
Anyway, I'd probably need to do alot of cleaning as I explore the different flavours on offer. I just tried the Peterson Hyde Park based on the promise of a rum flavouring.. I can safely say that I hate it!!! But considering the 50g tin costs me $54, I'm hesitant to throw it away.
Looks like I'm gonna play it safe for the time being..
ps, I just tried a corn cob pipe, the mini one, but I just seem to end up with lit ash flying into my mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.