PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
I just received a email from pipes&cigars introducing that Rocky Patel Co. is now selling pipe tobacco.
The first blend is called Prohibition Pure & Simple it comes in a glass 12.oz jar and is an aeromatic.
The components are Black Cavendish,Burley,Virginia and cased with vanilla and caramel essences.
[/url
I wonder if this new pipe tobacco is exclusive to pipes&cigars of if any tobacconist that sells Rocky Patel products will sell this tobacco also?

I also wonder who is making this for Rocky Patel is it Sutliff, Consolidated Cigar Corporation, Lane limited, MacBaren?

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I got the same email and it told us nothing about the blend other than the best part was the jar it came in LOL

Now that I know it's strictly aromatic with no cigar leaf, I plan to take a pass on it. I don't know why these cigar guys keep coming out with aromatic pipe tobacco with no cigar leaf in it...makes absolutely NO sense to me.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Lasttango, seriously. Gurkha, Macanudo, CAO, a slew of others, now Rocky Patel. And not a drop of cigar leaf. Crazy.
I did take some CAO Moontrance pipe tobacco and crumbled in a Moontrance cigarillo into it and let it sit for six months....gotta tell ya, I loved it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Rocky is in the middle of a fight with the FDA (Federal Government) over the Obama deeming regulations which do not exempt "premium" cigars. Interesting that he would start selling blends at this time. He mentioned nothing about it in a TV interview last night.

May 4, 2015
Interesting that he would start selling blends at this time. He mentioned nothing about it in a TV interview last night.
Coincidental timing, making hay while the sun is still shining or?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Rock Patels are ubiquitous in the same way as Gurkhas. I admit to being a cigar snob and would buy neither, let alone some jarred Cavendish surprise pipe tobacco. Yech!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Agreed. If this tobacco is of the same quality as RP cigars, I will pass.
This is just lame: "Since Rocky already had jars for his Prohibition cigars, he thought that it would be a great way to present this new blend."
So they got some unused jars they already had lying around, and found a way to sell 1Q for $40 a lb!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Given how many cigars he makes and how many he has sold, he should stick ti what he knows. Besides, the guy must be a gazillionaire!

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
SUCH a CYNIC!
But, yeah, probably.
Hey, they volunteered the info about the jars - I just extrapolated the 1Q part. Their marketing dept. really missed an opportunity to write something like, "these beautifully designed, hand-etched jars are specially engineered to keep this specific one-of-a-kind premium tobacco in perfect smoking condition...." :lol:

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I laughed out loud at lazar's post, to funny. But I have serious respect for Rocky Patel, not a huge fan of his cigars but he markets them and sells them like none other.
I actually thought the pipe tobacco was a joke, but if any one actually does pick it up, please share your thoughts. I'm happy to live vicariously through them.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Patels same as Gurkhas ? Come on now Yeah he's a galzillionaire cause he makes really fine cigars. Gurkhas are cigar internationals house blend jmho

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Agreed. If this tobacco is of the same quality as RP cigars, I will pass.

This is just lame: "Since Rocky already had jars for his Prohibition cigars, he thought that it would be a great way to present this new blend."

So they got some unused jars they already had lying around, and found a way to sell 1Q for $40 a lb!

Agree...Tried a number of cigars and did not impress me. Great Salesman.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I admitted I was a cigar snob.
But any maker with a gazillion cigars in their line, to my mind, is about sales, not quality.
Fuente has many cigars in their line, but probably a quarter or a third as many as these guys, and from what I read their quality control is relentless.
The only thing I like about CI is Cigarbid. Other than that they are just another soulless corporate entity chasing the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.