PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Was on a German website perusing HU tobaccos (ordered 6 tins) and I came across Robert McConnell blends that supposedly replace several of the now discontinued Dunhill blends.
I did a search and found some threads but it seems as if there isn’t any real comparisons yet.
Fingers crossed as I’m down to the last two bowls of Nightcap... Thanks.
Dang it... can’t seem to post the link... pfeifendepot.com.
Tobaccos, Robert McConnell, Heritage Series. Sorry.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On another forum, in a galaxy far, far, away, a German member did do a few comparisons right when they were first made available. They're not the same, which should come as no surprise since it's not the same sourced tobaccos, nor the same pipeline. For example, the Navy Rolls replacement has a black Cavendish bullseye. He did think them very fine blends on their own merits, just not the same as the Dunhill branded STG blends.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks sable
About what I thought. Probably not worth the price having them shipped from overseas and the euro price etc.
I did find Squadron Leader and a few other hard to get tobaccos in stock though. Probably grab a few of those on my next order of HU tobaccos.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I reviewed seven of the clones here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/jims-mcconnells-dunhill-clones-reviews

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Jiminks. Thanks a bunch. Most of my current rotation and cellar is based on your reviews. Absolutely invaluable to a new piper. Thanks again.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
rdavid: I thank you for the kind words, and am pleased to be of help to you.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
That link to the reviews is perfect. A little embarrassing because the first place I always go is TR and jiminks reviews. I did a search for “Robert McConnell” and yes, all his tobaccos came up but I glossed right over the Dunhill re-blends because of the new names. They’re all right there...
Jim noted that he actually liked a few of the RM blends better than the original Dunhill. Very tempting but I’m just not sure about paying for VAT, overseas delivery etc. especially since there’s hundreds more I want to try domestically. I did buy 6 tins of the HU blends but it appears it’s going to be worth it.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Alexj: thank you for the compliment.
Rdavid: HU blends are always worth the money if you have it to spend. I've smoked the entire line, and every single blend is a quality product in its respective genre. You can't say that about too many blenders.

Reactions: greenmtnsmoke
Status
Not open for further replies.