PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2013
Indianapolis
I am a genuine and enthusiastic lover of Latakia heavy blends. I count among my favorite colleagues --Pirate Kake, Star of the East, Quiet Nights, Nightcap, Lancer Slices, Pelican, and Artisan Blend.
I name these to give you a general idea of my tastes in tobacco. The aforementioned make up 95% of what I smoke on a daily basis.
McConnell Latakia Flake ---gave it two go's. A perfumy, soapy, muddled, unenjoyable smoking experience --- both times.
I am interested to hear of any fans of this blend?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That's good to know, I nearly added this to my last order, I'm kinda glad I didn't now. I'm a Lat head myself, but that description does NOT sound good! I've had a couple of blends that left me thinking I had just ingested some Ajax, not pleasant at all!

Thanks for the warning!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoked a tin of this a few years back, I don't recall the soapiness. I remember it burnt to a real fine ash. It is a thick hard flake, sort of unique. I don't smoke much English so I haven't gotten back to it.
I like McConnell's Glen Piper, not an English though. Their Scottish cake is similar to Rattray's Old Gowrie. They are a good house.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I tried two puffs and realized immediately that it was waaay too high in nicotine for me. By far, the highest-nicotine blend I've ever attempted to smoke. (Emphasis on "attempted.")
For comparison's sake, I'll mention that Aged Burley Flake and Old Dark Fired push me just about as far as I'm willing to go in the nicotine department. (But I have no problem at all with, say, Stonehaven.)
Bob

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I tried it once when someone offered me some at a social event in New Jersey of all places. I was struck by the amount of water that came out of the stuff and the nicotine level didn't really strike me as too bad but then it all depends on what you are used to smoking on a daily basis!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I was curious enough because I don't remember this being a bad smoke. I remember the latakia being a bit too sharp. I jarred the last about 25 grams from my tin. So I found it. It looks like this.

mc-lat-600x448.jpg

Nice dark flakes, but soft. I'm smoking some ... now. The latakia is not as sharp as I remember, but perhaps a few years in the jar has dulled it's sword. I'm getting a nice bass note coming through with the latakia sitting on top. I'm only getting a bit of floral with this, but maybe it has faded. Time has been kind to this. I will cellar more.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
The nicotine content of this flake is brutal. It is high quality tobacco and a true flake not a kake, but definitely an acquired taste. To me this has that perfumed quality lakeland blends do. It reminds a little bit of Bob's Chocolate flake or Fusilier's Ration but with way more latakia. I doesn't taste the same but if you like those you will probably like this. The latakia is so smoky and smooth and the smoke this flake produces is soft and silky. I only smoke it once in a blue moon but it tastes like nothing else, so I always have some on hand. When cubed cut the perfumy floral "soapy" taste is increased. A flavored Old Ironsides is another description that comes to mind. I just can't pinpoint what the sauce is. Licorice, Creme de Violette maybe, something floral.....

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Also this must be smoked slowly or the tastes do get muddled and even bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.