PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmirza

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
12345755_211731062498627_1597480658_n.jpg

According to an Instagram post, the carver behind K's Pipes passed away suddenly due to a motorcycle accident. Any death is a tragedy, but especially the death of someone young.
The remainder of his pipes are available from GQ Tobaccos.
Rest in peace, Shin-Ichi.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Sad news. He was an a really talented carver. I'm kicking myself for not buying Troy's pipe.

May 31, 2012
I'm kicking myself for not buying Troy's pipe.
I'm kicking myself for selling it.

:|
Just goes to show though, that one never knows exactly how the future will unfold,

I was certain that K's star was just about to hit an apex especially after the write-up in TobaccoDays,

http://tobaccodays.com/articles/around-the-pipe-world-pt-3-reviewing-years-2014-to-present/
In an ironic twist of fate, that pipe sold to a buyer in Nottingham,

ironic because I had originally got it from Glynn Quelch.

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/
I'll go ahead and repost the pix of the pipe here...
z6biVW4.jpg

vG1A4Gh.jpg

SSjiOOt.jpg

L1csBpH.jpg

QXyW167.jpg

T6bePZQ.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
What a great pipe. Sorry to hear this fellow has passed on to the Great Beyond, but I hope the tobacco's good there. Where I'm going it'll be easy to find a light.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
That fat stem is what kept me off Troy. I'm partial to that sweet wedge stem he liked to use, particularly in that split pea green vulcanite. Good reminder to not put off the things that make you happy whenever possible.

May 31, 2012
That fat stem is what kept me off Troy.
That was the exact reason I let it go from my collection, just didn't fit me ... lips/mouth wise, nor my particular dental alignment.
I got that pipe when I was deep in the throes of a "305 mania" and literally looking all over the place for that style and shape...
...I actually did get a brand new made in 2015 White Spot 3903 Cumberland too (which was returned under warranty for workmanship flaws)

K's pipe was light-years ahead of the Dunhill with fit and finish, as well as overall execution, it's a lovely pipe, and his eye for good design is clearly on display because it carries a stately elegance with vigorous aplomb.
I will certainly miss looking at his instagram site, it was one of my faves because he always posted very interesting stuff and on a quite regular basis too.
I liked how he might have been considered an "outsider" as far as Japanese carvers go because he deviated pretty far from the traditional Japanese pipemaker aesthetic, which is to say traditionally, it seems to me, the high-grade Japanese makers are heavily influenced by the Danes, although they do of course bring their own special organic/natural twist.
Shin-Ichi Kuwahara was clearly a passionate enthusiast,

and he was cutting his own path.
He will be missed.

:crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.