PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
Monty Hall, dead at 96.
Who's got a silver dollar in their 'pucket'? I've got $100 for the first person who has a silver dollar in their 'pucket'! How about a compact? $100 for the first lady with a compact in her purse!
I used to love watching "Let's Make A Deal" when I was a kid. It's also interesting to read about the hosts advantage. I forget what it is called exactly, but there was an interesting aspect to playing the game that I have to read about again.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Not that I mind discussing people who have passed, but have you wondered about the connection between the average age of the board and what must be accounted as a morbid past time?

Jun 27, 2016
Here is a link to what I was talking about earlier. It's actually commonly referred to as the "Monty Hall problem", but seems like it could not have been utilized during actual game-play, which I had not remembered correctly. There is some commentary about the problem by Monty himself. :puffpipe:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem
kcghost

He was a great game show host.
Not as great as the greatest of them all, Richard Dawson, but definitely in the top 10 or maybe 5 of all time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
mawnansmiff, not a pun, to lazy to look it up though the thought did cross my mind. . .

Jun 27, 2016
ashdigger

Balki, That may be how it was, but it is not how it currently is. The rules have been tightened as to who knows what.
I did come back and say that it could not have been used during the game, after reading through the link again. I was originally thinking that it could have been, because I didn't remember that much about it. Seems like the best way to do well on that show was to be familiar with the games and the production, and if you knew a lot of the prices, and could "tell" when a zonk was coming up based on what was going on around you, you would probably do better. I'm watching some early re-runs on You Tube, and those cars were horrible! Haven't seen a decent one yet. Some of those major appliance models are 100% still in service 40-odd years down the road, though. Nowadays, most of the new cars are the best that they have ever been, and most of the new appliances stink!

Jun 27, 2016
The coolest vehicle that I have seen so far was a very old motorcycle with a side-car that someone "won" on a zonk!

Status
Not open for further replies.