PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Oh noooo.

Truly one of the most underrated song writers of the 20th century.

Not a voice everyone could enjoy, but his songs were covered by some of the biggest names in music.

For me, Bird on a Wire has particularly strong memories associated with it. Dave Van Ronk did an electrifying cover of it.
I was fortunate enough to see Leonard a couple years ago in a very small venue. Between songs audience members would look around at each other and share knowing glances..it was clear that everyone there was being moved in a deeply personal way.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
R.I.P., L.C. You brought a lot of good music into the world, and will be missed. And as JBC mentioned, we've lost a lot of other good ones this year.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Makes me feel ill, gonna miss Leonard. So glad he got the new record out first.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm a full grown man and accept the reality of people dying. But jeez, the losses just keep piling up this year. RIP to another great talent.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Sad news indeed........... I always wanted to see him in concert, but never did. Kicking myself a bit now for it- life 's too short....... Rest in Peace Mr. Cohen....... Thank you for so many great songs.............. :crying:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
woodsroad: I really liked Jennifer Warnes singing Famous Blue Raincoat. Very well recorded too I might add. I also liked Cohen's songs in the movie Natural Born Killers. He definitely had his dark side. Will miss him. :clap:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My favorite album is New Skin for the Old Ceremony because of the first two songs; Is This What You Wanted and Chelsea Hotel #2. The man was an amazing writer and he will not soon be forgotten. RIP Leonard Cohen.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Going home without the sorrow

Going home sometime tomorrow

Going home to where it's better than before
Going home without my burden

Going home behind the curtain

Going home without this costume that I wore
Goodbye, Leonard Cohen, you will be missed!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Never heard of him. I must be living under a rock.

After listening to some of his music, I can't decide who sounds worse, Cohen or Dylan. I feel fortunate to have missed this vocal assault on my ears. I know that both are reputed poets/song writers, but I'd prefer to read it.

RIP.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Probably my favorite contemporary singer songwriter, and one of the very few who were actually accomplished poets without any accompanying music as well has having tremendous poetry in his song lyrics. He spoke to me so directly that I had to take him in increments, sometimes listening to him day after day, then taking long breaks from hearing him. He was in many ways a troubled and, I hear, a very difficult guy. He didn't always like other people, and seemed not to like himself all that well, but loved music and his own music, and left behind a striking legacy. Just one example, his song about his sexual liaison with Janis Joplin, what stark honesty and easily the greatest tribute to her (other than her own work) in the musical canon. Leonard, he's my man.

Dec 24, 2012
Cossack, you really should stick to your Miley Cyris and Brittney albums, lol.
I do appreciate that Leonard Cohen's sonorous, tobacco-painted baritone is not for everyone -- it is the music equivalent of a fine, cask-strength highland scotch and it makes the drinker feel warm in the glow of life and, yes, death.
I saw him perform three times and wouldn't exchange those moments for anything.

Dec 24, 2012
And a touching article published this summer about a letter that Leonard wrote to one of his old lovers (for whom he composed many songs, including Bird on a Wire) while she lay dying from leukemia on her deathbed.
That he would write, only a few months before his death, these words is heart-wrenching:
Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.
http://news.nationalpost.com/arts/music/so-long-marianne-leonard-cohens-muse-dies-at-81-cohen-writes-emotional-letter-in-tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.