PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My heart goes out to the families of the crew members of the destroyer Fitzgerald who were killed in the destroyer's collision with a Philippine container ship, a much larger vessel. Anyone who's ever been an enlisted sailor aboard a Navy ship can visualize the situation. The collision took place at about 2 a.m. local time, or what the Navy would call zero-two-hundred. The overnight watch would be in place for its midnight to eight schedule. Most of the rest of the crew would be in their racks (bunks) catching some sleep, in berthing compartments packed with bunks and lockers, with maybe forty or fifty guys (or today, gals) in a berthing space. When the hull was torn open above and below the waterline, the water would have filled up the spaces in a few minutes, and after a cursory shout and check to summon everyone out, the doors and hatches would have been sealed to keep the ship from filling up and sinking entirely. Sailors could have been unconscious from the collision or simply gotten trapped by an inrush of water before they could fight to a door or hatch. These guys were in their teens and twenties, with one in his thirties. They were from a variety of ethnicities, as were my shipmates years ago. "Eternal Father we call to thee, For those in peril on the sea."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The commanding officer of the Fitzgerald was medevaced by helicopter, so was likely on the frontline of damage control or injured by the collision itself.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
How in the hell this happen?
Still my question. In my day in Merchant Service there was radar, deck watch on the bridge wing, vessel running lights...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What a shocker. I thought of the Edmund Fitzgerald when I saw the thread title, but this Fitzgerald is just as bad, maybe worse seamanship, but as bad a tragic loss for those involved and their families. May they R.I.P.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Being a former Navy man, I gottat tell ya that something's just not adding up here.
Not to buy into ridiculous conspiracy theories, I still think we need to be asking a lot of questions here.
There seem to be some serious discrepancies with what the cargo ship is claiming as a timeline on the events and what satellite tracking records are showing.
I sure hope this wasn't an intentional ramming/act of terrorism. But, if it was, we need to deal with it swiftly.
Prayers for the victims and their families.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The photos of the deceased crew members was printed across the front page of a national paper with biographical notes on each. They sound like outstanding young sailors from various different job ratings and diverse backgrounds. It moved me especially because they looked and sounded so much like my shipmates on the minesweeper, each with their families and life plans in front of them. The man in his thirties was planning to retire at the end of the deployment. It requires a lot of people skills, responsibility and self-discipline to serve on a warship in close quarters and on a grueling schedule. One of the sailors, because of a parent, had fluent Japanese in addition to English as a language, just for one example. We lost some fine citizens there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Preliminary reports on this destroyer/container ship collision show some appalling disparities. On the destroyer, there are questions about whether live watches were posted starboard, portside and stern; what the status of the radar tracking was; why the captain wasn't immediately summoned to the bridge (they would have discovered him injured, which they eventually did); and why it took so long to address the damage and go on full alert. On the container ship, there are questions about whether watches were posted, and to what degree the steering was by computer, or who was monitoring it. So many possible mistakes and questions. This looks like the perfect storm of human error.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Both captains and crews immediately under them should be court-martialed or the equivalent. Innocent lives were lost, but a worse bit of seamanship on the part of the management of both ships I've not heard of..... Unless there was intentionality.....and then there was failure on the part of the container ship to sink the destroyer....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The officers all around have to be investigated and their moves tracked from minute to minute. I don't think any of the casualties (deceased) were implicated, unless any of them were watches who didn't stand watch, probably all innocent victims. The destroyer captain was injured. Whether he is culpable or not, I suspect his career may well end. In any case, he was responsible for irregularities in watch-standing. The enlisted no-show watches are definitely responsible. The Combat Information Center which operates and monitors the radar is on the handle all along. Serious. The worst in years. The container ship went on for nearly an hour before returning to the scene, according to the account I read. A rear admiral is assigned to do the investigation for the Navy. Lots of blame; hope it is justly leveled.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I am mortified , What happened to my Navy, take the USS COLE incident, in my day that Bum Boat would not have gotten within 200 ft of my Gun Station without a Strong Warning and then after BLASTED out the water. No watches that night, forget the Fancy Dancy Electronics, where were the Eyes. Somebody is gonna Burn Bad on this, and they should. God Bless those young men.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's got to be several somebodies. Both ship's crews erred badly, fatally badly. In the days before any electronics, had this happened heads would have rolled. I wonder if they will try to blame failure on the automatic systems? If so, it should fail, as real watches should have been held.
Indeed, bless the innocent casualties of horrible seamanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.