Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A huge loss: Malcolm wrote the songs, Angus filled in many of the riffs and the lead guitar, hich is better than most people think of it.
Off to fire up Highway To Hell in celebration...

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Ain't no fun waitin' round to be a millionaire...
RIP
jay-roger.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Disclaimer: My opinion. If you disagree I am already persuaded that you are right.
Though the band powerfully rocked, I found their music very repetitive. They hadn't much complexity and I lost interest in listening after a time or two.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I was born in '72 and everyone I know of in my generation loved/liked/tolerated AC/DC. To one extent or another, they were a soundtrack to our "growing up" years. Those guys rocked. I will always have a soft-spot for their music

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Very sad day. Angus got all the attention, but Malcom was a great guitar player and the core of the band. May he rest in peace.
AC/DC was one of the first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal bands I got into back in the late 80's, and there Live double CD album was my first CD I owned way back in 1991 when I got my first stereo system. AC/DC is mostly responsible for me becoming a Metalhead. Going to have to spin that album today.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Though the band powerfully rocked, I found their music very repetitive.
This is true of all rap, rock, jazz, techno, blues, etc.
If you want complexity, get some classical or death metal.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
“This is true of all rap, rock, jazz, techno, blues, etc.”. You have a lot to learn about music, my friend. Progressive Rock can be very complex and non-repetitive and Jazz.....well, I don’t think you know of what you speak.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The early Beatles were not complex, but the songs were consistently good and their performance bright and very joyful. By the time of Rubber Soul and Revolver, there was much more depth, an example of which is the song Norwegian Wood. The man probably does not prevail, and in any case wakes alone, having slept in the bathtub. This is completely outside AC/DC's "the devil take it" credo of their highway to hell repeated ad infinitum. The rebellion/nihilism was perhaps aimed at the immature sensibility of high school students. After all, they buy all the records. By the time of the late Beatles in Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and Abbey Road, the songs are almost infinitely complex, and at times it's anyone's guess as regards meaning; and the music solid to quite good/excellent.
Coltrane's Giant Steps is very complex yet very accessible as he modulates one key the next; his later avant-garde work to me is so dissonant as to be hardly bearable. Every artist wants to do something new to push the envelope, but if not within it how far before the envelope has disappeared and structure with it? Another standard to which I like to refer in this regard is Miles Davis Turnaround Phase in Vienna on Youtube. The multi-member band pushes the limits very hard but does not abandon melodic structure.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Anthony, it was Malcolm that died, not Angus. I initially typed Angus in error but quickly corrected my blooper.
Saltedplug, the guy has died, he and the band had a huge worldwide following so if their music wasn't quite your cup of tea then why the negatives?
He with brother Angus and Bon Scott were a fantastic band to see live in a small venue as I saw them in their early years...as you Americans say 'they were awesome'!
They had some heavyweight bouncers carry Angus on their shoulders all around the auditorium whilst he was doing a seriously long guitar solo...I'll never forget that....happy days :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You have a lot to learn about music, my friend.
(chuckles softly)
He with brother Angus and Bon Scott were a fantastic band to see live in a small venue as I saw them in their early years...as you Americans say 'they were awesome'!
AC/DC is underrated as far as the breadth of their musical influences and their ability to integrate them into a compositional vocabulary. Of course, for most, AC/DC begins in 1980, which is unfortunate as their 1970s material is immensely varied and intense.
Bon Scott remains one of the best vocalists in hard rock and heavy metal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Made his mark, got it done. And people are sorry he's gone. Can't quibble with that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
High Voltage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_ITc30Ld0
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73vB2yr5CI
Highway to Hell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAjV3o0FaUU
Live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BudmxAZaG_c
Back in Black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc_7_yfIl08

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
He had bad dementia for years. I'm glad his suffering is done.
RIP.
Thanks for the memories. Lots of AC/DC memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.