PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
RFG Handmade Poker Pipe Review
I was recently browsing the forum and came upon a for sale post by rx2man. It was a handmade briar/bamboo poker that was great looking and looked to be fine workmanship.
The pipe was shipped quickly and arrived last night. I was very surprised when I opened the box. The pipe came in a nice black velour type drawstring bag and as an added surprise; Rob included a matching bamboo tamper. Thank Rob! The pipe looks even better in person and I noticed many more details on close inspection. Below are some photos of this fine pipe. Take notice of the transitioning of the mouthpiece to the bamboo as well as from the bamboo to the shank. Looks perfect.

Here are the details from the original post:
It's just over 6 inches in length or appx 15 cm. The bowl is appx 2 in tall and 7/8's inch wide (inside diameter). Wall thickness at its minimum point is 8.2mm's. Its 46.3 grams. Pipe is the 1st that I "signed" "RFG". The pipe is rusticated and while is looks like a panel it is round. The pipe is black with the top and bottom natural. The bamboo is "black" and is not stained. 5/32nds stainless tubing connects the bamboo to the shank and another section at the mouthpiece. The tubing is appx 3/4's an inch long at each end. The stainless steel does not run all the way through the bamboo. This should provide a dry smoke. The mouthpiece is acrylic and is removable. It is pre formed but highly modified. The bit (right in front of the button) is 4.1mm's thick or thin in this case LOL. The button is 6.7mm's thick. Width is 17.3mm's. The airway is 5/32nd's and is tapered and flared out at the button area to provide a nice smooth transition. Asking $145, incl shipping CONUS. Best way to contact at this time is robertgray3954@gmail.com Has my "No Bull Guarantee", If you don’t like it send it back (unsmoked of course). I'll pay to ship it back and give you a full refund. The pipe also has a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. As long as I am alive I will fix it if there are any issues.
I currently have a modest pipe collection consisting of Castello, Petersons and Ferndown. I enjoy a variety of tobacco and decided to try some Hobbits Weed in this one. The pipe feels great in the hand and the weight is prefect. The draw was smooth and the tobacco burned nicely. The bowl is uncoated which I like. This is now one of my favorite pipes and I believe I got an amazing deal. My only negative comment I can make it you can call it that is that it was advertised as a sitter but I cannot get it to sit whether it is filled or empty. I prefer the shape over the sitting feature but would of liked both. I cannot recommend Robs work highly enough.
See if he can make you a pipe now before he get famous and has a waiting list months long.
shane

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Pretty good example of where I am still learning. I did not even think to add a bit guard and make sure it still sits....DUH. The acrylic bit is far enough out that it throws the weight off and with the guard added it falls over. That being said I will replace the bit when it gets chatter or whenever Shane wants it addressed and make sure a bit guard can be used and not fall over.

shane1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2014
Connecticut, USA
One more thing. Rob has been great to deal with. When he saw the review, he offered to pay for shipping both ways to make the pipe a more balanced sitter. Amazing service and a lifetime warranty.
shane

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First, welcome to the forum. That is a great looking pipe and the transitions from the strummel to stem and then the mouthpiece are brilliant. That's real craftsmanship. Enjoy with happy smoke rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.