PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
45 years ago when I began my pipe smoking journey I smoked only Borkum Riff Bourbon. At that time it was a wonderful tobacco that I could smoke all day and it had a wonderful room note. Over the years the formulation changed and it became a vile tobacco that guaranteed tongue bite. I eventually found that I enjoyed aged VaPer tobaccos much more and 2015 became my primary smoke. Yesterday I wandered into a store that advertised itself as a tobacco store (it was more of a vape/head shop) and I saw that they had pouches of Borkum Riff for sale. I heard that Lane Tobacco (who has taken over the Borkum Riff label) has tried to bring back a tobacco that was closer to the original. I picked up a pouch of the "new" Borkum Riff Bourbon just for old times sake and I am happily surprised. The pouch aroma is quite close to what it was 45 years ago. The tobacco was not goopy although it seems to be cut finer than I can remember it to be(maybe my memory is failing me). I loaded up a cob and was very happy to see that the tobacco does not give instant tongue burn. The flavor is very close to what I remember, and the room note seems to be very close to what it once was. The only real down side that I can see to this "new" Borkum Riff is the price. $10 for one and a half ounces is pretty much a deal breaker for me, but I can see picking up a pouch of this tobacco to help me relive the flavors of my early days of pipe smoking.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Hey Stephenw, I to smoked BR Whiskey for many years. I have been smoking a pipe for 43 years, yes I do agree the new formula is very close too the original BR Whiskey. I like it, I to also enjoy VaPers very much sir. I just purchased 7.5 oz tub of BR Whiskey for 28 dollars. I also mixed it with a tin of Petersons Irish Oak. I will say this about BR Whiskey, it takes a pretty big negative hit here on this forum. I find it amusing what folks here have too say about it. I think to really enjoy this tobac is to sip it. I wish Lane would offer the larger tub at 14oz size like many years ago with the old packaging. Thanks for the post sir.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
It has a really great flavor, but I found it can quickly bite, and thus needs to be smoked super slow. It doesn't deserve all of the negative reviews it tends to get.

P

pipebuddy

I bought a few pouches a couple of years back. STG has definitively increased the quality of this brand. However, the casing was too strong for my liking and it gave me a headache every time I smoked it.

I seem to do much better with Scandinavian Mixture.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about my good results with "heat treating" BR Bourbon. The only reason I bothered was because I really like the flavor of the stuff, but had no patience for the bite. The reason for BR taking a big negative hit here may be because of exposure to the lesser formulation, not the "old" version or the newer Lane version. Or it may be that a lot of smokers are reaching the point I am: rapidly dwindling patience with tobaccos that may have redeeming features, but require a complex ballet of special pre-treatment and handling with kid gloves to get a decent smoke out of. I have been gravitating much less toward high-maintenance, pain-in-the-ass thoroughbreds and more toward simpler, easier to enjoy, low hassle smokes. Just $0.02.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't keep it on hand, but I have enjoyed several pouches over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.