PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Newminster No. 23 Blackberry/Brandy
Kevin was kind enough to provide me with a few samples by Newminster. Our good friends over at PipesandCigars.com carry the Newminster line of bulk tobaccos.
Their posting describes Newminster No. 23 Blackberry/Brandy as: "Primarily a mixture of Black Cavendish blended with light press Burley tobaccos." The pouch note was sweet with the pleasant aroma of blackberries. The blend was moist, but not overly so, and packed quite well. It burned nicely too. Relights weren't an issue like they can be with some Aromatic blends.
I moved the entire sample into my roll-up pouch because I was going to be out most of the day. Owing to unforeseen circumstances I wasn't able to carry it with me, so I left it the car. With the temperatures being as high as they have been lately, I was concerned that the heat might dry it out or have some other deleterious effect on the flavor. When I returned to the car it smelled of blackberries. The wife loved it, and so did I. I suppose I can attribute the continued freshness to a high PG content... However; I do not believe that Propylene Glycol was used in excess. There was no chemical taste present at all.
I smoked Newminster No. 23 in a variety of pipes, throughout the course of the evening. Ghosting doesn't appear to be an issue. The smoke was cool, and had none of that "back of the throat Burley tightness".
Upon the Char-light and True the blackberry flavor comes through, and is consistent throughout the smoke. I didn't notice the Burleys at all. The Burleys seems to contribute to the nicotine content and moderate the sweetness of the Cavendish, but I noticed no Burley taste. While this is a sweet blend, it isn't overly so. There is none of those “goopy" aspects one might expect from a fruit flavored tobacco blend.
I thoroughly enjoyed this sample of Newminster No. 23 Blackberry/Brandy. If you are an Aromatic smoker, this is a blend you should give a try. Newminster No. 23 is a lot of fun, and very tasty.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Great review! I'm not an aromatic smoker very often, but blackberry sounds really good!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think this is supposed to be similar to PS Black Currant Cavendish, which has a similar taste profile (though not as good, but certainly cheaper) as W.O. Larsen Signature Mixture. Thanks for the review. Guess I'll have to look into the Newminster line soon.
-Jason

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks Lawrence. I like W.O.Larsen Signature Mixture, but not the price, lol. I will have to try the Newminster.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sounds quite tasty, thanks for the tip Lawrence. I love the taste of Blackberries so I will definitely give this a shot on the next order from PC. Wish I had read this the other day, I just got an order in from them today.

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
My next baccy order from there I think I will try some of the Newminster blends this one sounds pretty good.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I've seen the blends and a few sound great, I have my eye on about 4 of them! And the blackberry being one of them

petiekas

Lurker
Aug 5, 2012
Oh WOW! That sounds so good! I really want to try some of this. Great review, thanks!
Side note, price is pretty good too!!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Very accurate review Lawrence!!! Bravo!!! I am an English/Balkan man, but i have # oz of this stuff and its great after dinner. No ghosting i noticed either. I've smoked about 8 bowls of it. I'm no fruity aromatic fan, but i like this.. I love the Newminster English blends. Great stuff. Thanks for sharing Lawrence!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.