Mar 30, 2014
wv
MacBaren HH Latakia Flake
Type: English
Tobacco: Burley, Latakia, Oriental, Turkish, Virginia
Cut: Flake
Tin Note: Smokey, Leathery, Sweet
Tin Description:

The taste is complex with the smoky taste from Latakia in the front seat, the subtle sweetness from the Virginias working in the back, and the mellow spiciness from the Orientals popping up from time to time, creating an intimate interplay where all tobaccos play their role in this unique smoking experience. A mellow yet satisfying tobacco, with a lot of nice smoky aroma.
GcQ5UaI.jpg

I was thoroughly impressed with this blend from the time I popped the seal on the tin and processed the first sniff. Folding back the gold foil revealed three neatly packed blocks that almost looked like bars of fine chocolate. Each slice of flake is easily removed fully intact. There are several ways to enjoy this flake, each presenting a different experience. I tried it various ways to ensure the best experience, or at least that's my excuse to keep going back for more. I'll save my personal preference for last. First up, cube cut. Cube cut is probably the easiest way to smoke it, after cutting it up of course. Cube cutting is easy to pack and light, but beware, and leave room for expansion because it will grow like a chia pet. Cube cut burns a little hotter, faster, and gives it more of a heavy duty taste. Fold and stuff is how I prefer to smoke it. The size of each flake is perfect for a medium size pipe bowl, and the best way to get the full essence of all the tobaccos. This way requires some work to get lit and going, but is well worth the effort. It will still expand somewhat so take note not to overfill. The sweetness of the Virginias really shine through using the fold and stuff method, as opposed to cube cutting. The Orientals add a nice spiciness that intermittently appear just as the tin description suggests. The Latakia is unequivocally the frontrunner as the name justly declares. It is a Lat forward blend without being a Latbomb, giving the other tobaccos a place on the stage. I think being hot pressed plays a large part in all the different tobaccos to coalesce so magnificently. Once I got the flake burning, It stayed lit for 30 minutes or more. Only a quick touch of flame towards the end, which burnt to a fine gray ash. The taste remains consistent from start to finish. I will be stocking up on HH Latakia Flake. This will be in heavy rotation for me. I think this will be a blend that will age very well. MacBaren hit this one out of the park and is a true hallmark of the brand.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Thanks for that Dave,I have a tin on the way and your review has whet my appetite.

K

klause

Cracking review, Dave - thanks for your thoughts on this magnificent flake.
I fell in love with this stuff, first sniff on opening the tin. It is a truly heavenly flake that I could happily settle on as an all day, every day smoke - everything about it is perfection.......
I have a couple of slices left from a tin, waiting patiently for the weekend......starting to drift off into the middle distance just thinking about it...

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks for a great review, Dave. This is one of my favorite blends and I smoke some weekly. I also prefer the fold and stuff method.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's a winner, for sure. I just finished a tin, and have another on hand. I'll probably lay in several at a future order.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I just smoked a bowl last night and like many on this forum -- I absolutely love it! Just a wonderful smoke.
I have 1x open tin and 7x more in the cellar. Hopefully that lasts me a while!
Great review by the way!!

matches

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2015
Dunedin, NZ
Been thinking of ordering a tin, think this review seals it. Now if I can only get flakes to work for me.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
By far the best MacBaren blend I've ever enjoyed. Has a full flavor, and yet a natural sweetness that lasts all the way through he bowl.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I would second that- best MacBaren blend I have tried. Not the most refined English blend I have had but very tasty with tons of flavor. Sweeter then most similar offerings, typical of a MacBaren. This the one of only two MacBarens that I have bothered to cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.