Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish
Type: Aromatic
Tobacco: Black Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish
Flavoring: Cherry Liqueur
Cut: Ribbon
Pouch Note: Tart Cherry
Room Note: Sugary Sweet, Mild
Description:

An uncommonly mild smoking mixture, blended from the select, prime leaf tobaccos of Europe, Africa, North and South America, and mellowed with a cherry liqueur. Slowly aged and gentled to enhance the natural tobacco taste and aroma. Aged, imported and domestic smoking tobaccos laced with cherry liqueur. Specially created for todays taste.
Uosh1bn.jpg

After reading more than a few bad comments in the past about cherry aromatics, I tried to approach this classic icon with an open mind. I proceeded with caution and used my trusty aromatic cob. It has a pleasant smell of sweet and tart cherries. The tobacco is very moist out of the pouch. I had visions of massive tongue bite and multiple relights. To my surprise, it lit well and didn't have any bite. The initial taste at the start was actually a lightly sweet cherry flavor, unlike a lot of aros that smell great and haven't any taste. The Black Cavendish is a main player in this blend. It has a decent tobacco flavor for an aromatic. I'm not a fan of cherry blends and haven't smoked any for many years, but this was certainly not the worst cherry aro I've smoked. A safe and simple pipe tobacco. The cherry topping isn't overpowering and leaves room for an actual tobacco taste.
Dislikes: Aromatic. Pipe slightly goopy afterwards. Will ghost a pipe.
I may be a bit prejudice against most aromatics at this point in time, but this blend is just fine for the category it falls into.
Recommendations:
I recommend Dutch Masters Cherry Cavendish to new pipers and aromatic smokers. The mild, easy to smoke characteristics of this blend is great for a beginner in the piping hobby. Maybe that's why Dutch Masters has been around for eternity and is a favorite among the corner store pipe tobaccos.
http://www.sutliff-tobacco.com/home.html

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I applaud you for having the intestinal fortitude to try something I would not. At the top of the heap of aromatic tobaccos lies the "Cherry" bomb as the broccoli of tobaccos in my opinion. That is why there are a multitude of tobaccos that this will appeal to many. Good for you sir. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now and then someone posts looking for a good cherry aromatic, and this sounds like a possibility for those

folks. The emphasis on it having some authentic tobacco flavor is a plus, and it staying lit and not having

bite are good attributes. I'm not big on aromatics, and not on cherry flavor at all, but for the persistent demand

for a good cherry, this sounds like one to try.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been exploring codger blends, and as I type this, I am smoking Middleton cherry. Mild cherry flavoring allows you to still taste the tobacco, burns cool and clean to the bottom of the bowl. I love my non aros, but may have to give Dutchmaster's a try. Thank you for a great review!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
When I was asked to review this, I expected it to be another cheap cherry blend, mainly because it had the Dutch Masters name, and I always considered their cigars to be cheap, and not very good. But, I was surprised when I started smoking it that I liked it. I like very few cherry blends, but this is a good one. Btw, the DM Whiskey Cavendish is pretty good, too. That used to be sold as Old Grand Dad's.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
My brother-in-law likes his aromatics, but has problems with tongue bite and serial relighting. You may have found a tobacco that will treat him well and keep him smoking a pipe. Thank you.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Cortez: I smoked a whole pouch and never got a chemical taste. Here's my review of it:

I expected this to be another cheap cherry blend, and was surprised to discover it isn't. I'm not a fan of cherry blends, but having smoked a few recently, I've had the opportunity to compare good from bad. This blend is very moist in the package, and has a nice aroma upon opening the pack. The cherry taste is a little milder than the smell, and I got a light Virginia flavor here and there, which isn't the norm for fruit cased products. Burned fairly well, though you may want to dry it just a mite first. Its mildness is why I enjoyed it, because strong cherry blends just don't work for me. This is not a flavor bomb, but it is an all day work and play, fairly gentle sweet smoke with no bite. Has a nice room note, too.

Oct 12, 2014
This is a good review and just goes to show that sometimes you can be surprised by a blend. Best to always give something a shot before writing it off as trash, diamonds in the rough are out there to be found..

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Ok, Ok!!! I'll try it since I was such a killjoy in my second post. What the hell am I thinking??? I don't like cherries!!! :mrgreen:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Dutch Masters makes lousy cigars. My grandfather was a dear man, but he smoked DMs; his tastes in tobacco and beer were not mine. A child of the depression, he always bought the cheapest products. Like Prometheus I'd rather be chained to a rock to have my gizzard re-eaten by zombie vultures everyday than smoke their rot. Not that I'm prejudiced, of course:).

Status
Not open for further replies.