PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
Been a while since I posted anything. Family issues and what-not. I live in central Florida, and the weather is starting to get warm (high 80's-mid 90's). Now I'm originally from the Adirondack Mountains in New York, so me and the weather in Florida don't always mix. I'm not really a beach man, and I'm definitely not a 90 degree plus humidity man. My wife recently pointed out that I basically have ceased smoking in the past month. I realized that I am beginning my summer drop-off in smoking due to the weather. Well, all you northerners who complained while we enjoyed the cool weather down here now have your turn to yuck it up. This piper plane has been grounded due to bad weather for the season. :cry:

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
I can smoke in the house, but I choose not too. I own a parrot who is very sensitive to those sorts of things, and I also don't like my house smelling like the smoke. I just want to live in a place with constant 75 degrees, a cool breeze, and endless cellar of tobacco, rare steaks served on demand, streams of whiskey and rum, and my wife happy and relaxing pretty. Oh, and no bills.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We travel to FL or New Orleans with some frequency in the summer. I just smoke early in the AM or later evening when temps climb past 90. Most of the summer we have 90 degree days here in Maryland as well, but a little less humid. Right now, I'm longing for warm summer mornings on the patio with shorts and a t-shirt....

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Sorry to hear it psychpipes. I'm in VT which is similar to Adirondacks and I too do not handle hot weather too well. If its any consolation, this winter was miserably cold in these parts and I had some difficulties getting in a decent smoke.
Hope you get the occasional smoke in.

This is why I am starting to integrate in more light aromatic Virginias into my rotation, like Vanilla Flake, Original Mild Orange, etc... It makes me salivate while smoking, so that it doesn't dry out my already parched mouth from an oppressive sun and humidity. It gets 90F in the shade here, so a strong blend would make me pass out.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
@Numbersix- I did manage to a get one smoke in last Saturday, as I was in Tallahassee, and it was considerably cooler than it is where I live. I'm sure I'll get a couple in over the season.
@cosmicfolklore- I don't really have too many Virginia Blends. I do have some PS LBF in the cellar that I may pull out to see if that makes it any easier.

LBF isn't exactly an aromatic, but give it a try. I meant smoking light aromatics that aren't necessarily goopy or moist, but have enough flavor that you can taste to keep the salivation going. The Virginia based ones just give me that underlying Virginia natural flavor that I like, riding right under the vanilla or orange flavor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Cosmic, you might give Low Country's Santee a try. Nice Virginia with apple flavor that harmonizes well.

It smokes so well I hesitate to call it an aromatic. I can't smell the room note when I'm smokin' it, though.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I can, and choose to, smoke indoors for middle of the day pipes. I fantasize about having a sunrise pipe on the beach and then a sunset one also. I am pretty much confined at my house so my backyard becomes almost anywhere in the world for me and many times it's those Florida beaches I grew up around and grew to love.

Dec 24, 2012
Hard for me to be too sympathetic to complaints about the heat after scraping icicles off my nuts for the last 6 months, lol. Still chilly here - not much sun but lots of cold weather and rain.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It was warming up here in Vegas. Highs around 90. The wind came in Monday though and just left yesterday. Now the highs are around 72 and over night lows of 58. It's nice to have the house opened up again. I guess I'm lucky because we just cleared out our garage and it has a swamp cooler on top of it. So when it gets too hot to smoke outside, in Vegas that means once it cracks 105, I have a place to hide away and have a few bowls.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Funny, I taper off in the winter and ramp back up when the 90-100 days come. Below 50 and I hide indoors near a heat source. Tarzan say "If you can't live nekkid, why live at all?".

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I'm with you Peck, the temps just climbed up to 80 for the first time in probably 7 months. I myself will take Florida heat over this crappy Michigan weather.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah... getting pretty hot here in Northeast Florida too but still nice early morning and evening so trying to enjoy while I can. Wife doesn't mind if I smoke indoors but we both prefer to not allow the house to get a smoke smell so I don't do it often - and when I do, I smoke a nice aromatic.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I can agree with that. Over here in Sacramento, CA, it's starting to stay around 85-90, and it's supposed to be 100 sometime next week. I normally enjoy Mississippi River, but I smoked it on a hot afternoon and didn't enjoy it as much. The hot air just doesn't feel nice in the nose with smoke. I find myself reaching for my aro's and lighter blends now.

People can be seriously hurt in both extremes of weather. However, in my short couple of years in Tucson, I would have to say, give me that heat over Alabama's 100F+ 100% humidity of August, ugg. Nothing would prevent me from smoking. I can't even imagine a day without smoking. Sure, it's a hobby. But, its a hobby that keeps me from losing my mind with cravings for the beautiful goddess, Nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.