PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I did a pipedia search and a Google but found nothing that clearly explained what a reverse calabash is. I've seen pictures and I can figure out what makes a pipe a reverse calabash.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Uh did you mean to say you can't figure out the workings of the reverse calabash?
A reverse calabash has a chamber that's usually made at the shank to allow for expansion and cooling of the smoke. The chamber allows more of the moisture to absorb into the walls of the chamber and makes for a cooler smoke. They tend to look a bit odd because they have to be so much more robust and chunky for the expanding chamber. Personally I've seen very few that I find appealing aesthetically.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can't quite explain the name "reverse" though. A normal calabash has a removable threaded bowl and then the gourd or briar is hollowed out for the expansion of the smoke and absorption of the moisture directly underneath the removable bowl. The "reverse" calabash has simply changed this expansion chamber from the bowl to the shank. Doesn't seem much of a "reversal" to me, more so just moving the chamber on down the line.
You're welcome for the explanation.
It's a process that's become popular with artisan carvers over the last couple years.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
To each their own I guess. I do admit that Id smoke it were the price right. It just so happens that price would be very low in that case.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The reason it's a reverse is that in a calabash the chamber is below the bowl, not in the stem or a secondary chamber. I think reverse is just the easiest term as there are so many takes on where and how the second chamber is situated. I suppose it does imply something interesting though. Personally I find Rolando Negoita's Conducta reverse calabash pipes to be good looking.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Wouldn't Peterson's system also be considered a form of a reverse calabash?

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Along those same lines, I'm thinking any pipe with a removed stinger would qualify. Sorta kinda.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Not sure I agree there, the Peterson system is basically a spit trap. Now we know why they wen't with "system" though. If you reverse calabash chamber is full of spit, you might not like the effect.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've seen the cut-away of the Peterson system. The expansion chamber is close to the bowl, not the stem/button. This always led me to believe it was more of a condensate trap as opposed to a spit trap. I'm not a Peterson aficionado so I guess I could be wrong about it's purpose. I am pretty sure I don't slobber into my stem quite that much though, lol.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I was using the term spit loosely, essentially moisture traveling down the stem, from condensation or your mouth is going down the system hole instead of on through to the bowl. It might not be slober exactly but a smoker can certainly introduce moisture into the stem from their side.
shank calabash

But what about when the chamber is another actual part of the pipe, then has a regular shank off the second chamber?

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Wouldn't Peterson's system also be considered a form of a reverse calabash?
I've thought this all along. I don't think moving the chamber a quarter inch up or down the smokestream really matters. The geometry is a little different, but I'm not sure they smoke would be able to tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.