PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajgre

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2010
I'm considering buying one and would love to know what your experiences with that system are.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I had a lot of fun making one for a customer. I really fell in love with the pipe, but cant tell you how it smokes :crying: My customer tell me he loves it and the it smokes wonderfully cool. I plan to build myself one without a doubt when it slows down around here.
chubbychecker009.jpg

chubbychecker013.jpg

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I went on a Google search and couldn't find a satisfactory answer..
Top, the idea is the same as a traditional calabash. There is a larger second chamber that allows the smoke to cool a bit before entering your mouth. The "Reverse" part comes in because the smoke cools inside the shank rather then beneath the bowl. In this case the entire shank has been drilled out to 3/4" wide and around 2" long so its a fairly large chamber for such a small pipe. Also, even though its a very chunky pipe its pretty lightweight at just 1 ounce.

This particular pipe is a pretty stubby 4.25 inches long nosewarmer.

Cleaning the pipe is as simple as wiping out the chamber with a napkin.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, I did not know Calabash pipes had a chamber for cooling smoke. Very interesting.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
luv the calabash/ Anything cooling the draw works for me. Also luv the calabash shape. Buy it Sajgre sos we can take a peek.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Seems similar in a way to a Pete system, although the air chamber there is way, way larger. Does it act like a moisture trap?

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
I have a Radice reverse calabash "Tubos" shape. I find it wonderfully effective in cooling and drying the smoke, far much more so than a Pete system. It really takes the sting out of bitey blends, although I find it can be picky about which tobaccos taste best in it. Some it can really mute the flavor quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.