PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I recently got a retort in a awesome trade with pipemanff and am looking to start putting it to use. I was wondering which I would do first or if the Salt & Alcohol treatment is just a waste of time now that I have a retort.
Whats your thoughts?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
clean the shank with q tips,then retort,be careful as heat may make stem stick,wait a while, then after retorting clean shank with bristle brush dipped in alcohol, plug shank hole with q tip or whatever then fill pipe wit,h kosher salt,don"t fill up to level of bowl as alcohol will weep on rim,fill with alcohol, i leave it for 24 hrs,dump salt clean the bowl,then i retort it again,i flame the alcolol out,be careful with this,don"t heat the pipe too much,you then have a clean estate the old cajun

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I would be remiss if I did not caution you to wear eye protection, I use an Ove glove in hand holding tube, make sure thumb and forefinger holds tube where it meets rubber stopper tightly as pressure may make it come off, plug hole in pipe with cotton balls or square manicurist pads you can get at dollar store, I use an ordinary candle and it works. BE SAFE. The old cajun

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I use a face-shield when I retort. I also do it in the garage with a fire extinguishers in easy reach. Burns are no fun, be safe.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.