PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Yesterday I got in the mail a used pipe that I bought. When I got it, its stem was all black and shiny. Couldn’t wait to smoke it, so I packed her, and rode happily on smoky clouds to happiness. Today I looked at her again and to my horror I saw that the shiny black stem got brownie with stains (like in the photo).

Is there any way to restore the black pipe? Besides painting it black, Oil? Wax? Something?

img_20141128_1714041-600x450.jpg

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Looks like a case of simple stem oxidation to me. You can search on "remove oxidation" or "restore a stem" both here in the forums and on Google and find probably a dozen different suggestions, all of which work to some degree or another. If you have buffing wheels at home, you can buff the stem with red tripoli and white diamond to restore the stem. Several pipe repair guys have a "stem maintenance" service they offer as well that will get it back to top shape for around $10 if you just don't want to do it yourself. If you have any questions or need recommendations, just let me know.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If a stem is bad, I use a bleach soak but that requires a buffing wheel and/or wet dry sand paper of very very fine grits to finish. For lighter oxidization, I use a dremel with jeweler's rouge. It works very well but a dremel takes some practice as the speed is high enough to melt plastic if you don't use a light touch. I tried a magic eraser today and that worked pretty well too. You can probably find a number of youtube videos on the subject. There are youtube videos on everything!
Mike S.

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I was thinking of making a youtube video on how to make youtube videos, but I found out there is already one or two.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
papajoe:
I find that Bon Ami cleanser (available in the household cleaning products aisle of most grocery stores) works very well in removing oxidation such as is shown on your stem. Further, it will not scratch the Vulcanite. I apply it liberally to a piece of paper toweling dampened with warm water and scrub vigorously, taking care to avoid any stamped nomenclature or logotypes. I also use an old toothbrush to get into the corners around the button and tenon.
Because of the degree to which you stem is oxidized this may take several applications and a bit of elbow grease; however, I believe that when you are through the stem's original black color will again be visible. Once its appearance is to your satisfaction you may then buff and wax to finish the job.
I hope that you find this information to be useful.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use Barkeepers friend (very commonly available), mix it with water and massage it onto the stem by hand. In a pinch I have used a magic eraser or even a quality baking soda toothpaste. Rinse with water and dry, then follow up with some Obsidian stem oil.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Well here is my problem. All this things which you all are talkin about are fron the US. I'm not. So all this brand names are not available to me. :(

What i need to know is what to look for not by brand name but by the action it does. What am l looking for? something based on oxigen?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
papajoe:
According to the label Bon Ami's ingredients are: "Limestone; Feldspar; Surfactant (from coconut and corn oil); Soda Ash and Baking Soda." You might look for cleansers with the same or similar ingredients where you are located.

Status
Not open for further replies.