PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im a little inspired by another thread here about pipe restoration, and want to try it myself. I have an old estate pipe that i bought from ebay for a dollar or so, but it has a chewing hole in the end of the stem. Is it possible to buy a new one?
Its a stem that screws on

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Yeah I thought so.

Is there a standard size to fit on other pipes without screw stem?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I would check out www.rebornpipes.com you might find a way of filling the hole. I'm sure I have read an article or three where they mention fixing holes. Hope this helps geirove

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
I agree with Mr, Jones. Without some good pics it is hard to make suggestions. Holes on stems can be filled, depending on size and some other factors, and new stems can be made that will fit your pipe. I have done both. Get some pics posted and let's see what you have to work with.
Wes

rebuiltbriars.com

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I believe that any reputable repair shop/person can just take the old stinger/screw on part and put it in the new stem and the fit will be damn near factory. The hard part is finding a stinger/screw on part that fits but you already have that so it should be a basic new stem.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im trying to upload some decent pic`s but my phone does not take photos up to standard.
IMG_0491_zps9b289969.jpg

IMG_0486_zpsd771817a.jpg

IMG_0489_zps6eafbe4e.jpg

IMG_0487_zps4ea944d4.jpg

weeirv

Lurker
Nov 18, 2011
Hi, I have repaired many holes in stems with MILLIPUT two part epoxy putty that comes in various colours and once set is rock hard. All it needs is a wee sand down until smooth and level. Not sure if its available in the USA but its on Amazon. Hope this helps.

Best Wishes from Scotland. :puffpipe:

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
MILLIPUT is just a colored version on the standard 2 part epoxy mixture you can find in most home improvement stores and is sold primarily as a modeling compound. I have used it before and it does a very good job at patching holes.For small holes though, I still prefer Bob Smith Industries IC-2000 CA adhesive mixed 50/50 with their extra think gap filling formula. Just personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.