PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
I'm new to the world of pipe smoking, recently purchased some estate pipes off eBay (several Grabows, a Falcon, and a couple of no names). What are your recommendations for restoring pipes?

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
hello and welcome. you can search the forums here to find what you need to know in regards to refurbishing pipes. it is fun, i have done ~ 5 pipes myself. if you have any trouble finding info, let us know. someone here will give you all the info you need. also u tube has vids of this very thing. it is all good here.
take care.
mike.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Many pipe restorations are posted frequently on the Reborn Pipes blog. Nearly everything I've learned about restoring pipes came from that blog's owner, Steve Laug. Read & learn. I post there under "Upshallfan".

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the info guys, I will have to look into this. I have purchased pipe cleaners, 70% rubbing alcohol, iodized salt, and Bar keepers friend. I'm on a fairly tight budget so finding a professional to do the work might be challenging.

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
rothnh,
Thanks for that info. I'll look into the stronger isopropyl or the Bacardi. Heard everclear works well too.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i do not think you should use iodized salt. you will need kosher salt or sea salt. also use everclear. keep reading and you find out everything you will need for restoration of your pipes. you will need plenty of pipe cleaners a reamer for the inside of the bowl. you will also need bleach or oxyclean for your stems. then you need sand paper of various grits or micromesh pads. good luck too you.
take care.

mike.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
#1 on Mike,Al,Roths advice as always right on the money, no no to regular salt, go to grocery store and get Kosher salt, Pharmacy has 91% alcohol, like Roth said let it dry longer than you think it should, Good luck on your wonderous journey you will love it. The old cajun

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
there are some great threads on cleaning estate pipes here, along with rebornpipes you will be all set.

Jan 21, 2013
duallogic,
Here are a few videos I came across on pipe resporation. Put them in a playlist so I can find them when I need them.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B4384D1BBB67801
enjoy!

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm debating whether or not to attempt restoring them myself or having someone with experience restore them.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV_6CnX9FhQ&list=PL5B4384D1BBB67801&index=8
I learned the hard way that doing stem stem separated from the bowl as shown in this video (sanding or buffing) is a sure fire way to round off an edge....yrmv....

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013
I'm considering having someone else do the restorations for me now, maybe I'll pick up on restoring estate pipes later on.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just do a salt and alcohol treatment if the pipe has a bad or strong taste, all my pipes are estate pipes, I looked into restoring them then realized a good cleaning was all they needed at most.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Post some photos so members can get an idea of what they need. This will allow more accurate recommendations as to what needs done and more relevant tips. You may even get an offer from someone to help or do it for you.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Gee, I can't believe the guy in the video didn't do "something" about those dent in the stem before doing all that work. Well, maybe they fit his teeth, too! :crazy:

duallogic

Lurker
Jan 15, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.