Tags:  No tags yet. 

Restoring Estate Pipes

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by duallogic
  • Latest reply from duallogic
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

I'm new to the world of pipe smoking, recently purchased some estate pipes off eBay (several Grabows, a Falcon, and a couple of no names). What are your recommendations for restoring pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

hello and welcome. you can search the forums here to find what you need to know in regards to refurbishing pipes. it is fun, i have done ~ 5 pipes myself. if you have any trouble finding info, let us know. someone here will give you all the info you need. also u tube has vids of this very thing. it is all good here.

take care.

mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Many pipe restorations are posted frequently on the Reborn Pipes blog. Nearly everything I've learned about restoring pipes came from that blog's owner, Steve Laug. Read & learn. I post there under "Upshallfan".
    http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the other forums also have good resto tips as well.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the PM Forums, duallogic!

As others have said here, there is a ton of information about pipe restoration here on PM Forums and elsewhere on line; a search here on PM and a simple Google search should get you well on your way. Do check out reborn pipes that all suggested; lots of info, even for beginners.

If you like learning about it and doing the work, it can be fun, rewarding, and a great way to learn a lot about pipes, while saving a ton of money -- and even making money -- if you focus and do a good job.

As a general rule, I personally don't usually do my own restorations. I do not enjoy the process and I'm of the opinion that if I don't enjoy the time doing something, I don't bother with it; I have a pro do it. In the case of estates, I either buy already restored pipes, or I have a professional take care of it for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the info guys, I will have to look into this. I have purchased pipe cleaners, 70% rubbing alcohol, iodized salt, and Bar keepers friend. I'm on a fairly tight budget so finding a professional to do the work might be challenging.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

70% rubbing alcohol

Terrible stuff for pipes. Do not use it. Check the ingredients and smell it -- that smell is what your pipe will smell like when the rubbing alcohol dries. I suggest you use it for muscle pain and as an antiseptic, but keep it the hell away from your pipe(s).

You can go to you pharmacy and ask your pharmacist for "90%+ isopropyl alcohol" -- a bottle is $2-$3. You can use that for pipes. It's cheap. I use Bacardi 151 - a bottle lasts for years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

rothnh,

Thanks for that info. I'll look into the stronger isopropyl or the Bacardi. Heard everclear works well too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Heard everclear works well too.

IMO, Everclear is best, but I can't get it here, so I use Bacardi 151. I don't like using anything I wouldn't drink.

But hey, if money is tight, 90%+ isopropyl alcohol, providing you let it dry thoroughly when using it on your pipes, will work just fine for you and it's 'way less expensive.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Some of the other forums also have good resto tips as well.

The Restoration & Maintenance section of the SmokersForums.uk have a ton of good info stored there on the stickies.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mlyvers

mlyvers

Login to Send PM

i do not think you should use iodized salt. you will need kosher salt or sea salt. also use everclear. keep reading and you find out everything you will need for restoration of your pipes. you will need plenty of pipe cleaners a reamer for the inside of the bowl. you will also need bleach or oxyclean for your stems. then you need sand paper of various grits or micromesh pads. good luck too you.

take care.
    mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#1 on Mike,Al,Roths advice as always right on the money, no no to regular salt, go to grocery store and get Kosher salt, Pharmacy has 91% alcohol, like Roth said let it dry longer than you think it should, Good luck on your wonderous journey you will love it. The old cajun

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. timely

timely

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

there are some great threads on cleaning estate pipes here, along with rebornpipes you will be all set.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. possiblemeltdown

possiblemeltdown

Login to Send PM

duallogic,

Here are a few videos I came across on pipe resporation. Put them in a playlist so I can find them when I need them.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5B4384D1BBB67801

enjoy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm debating whether or not to attempt restoring them myself or having someone with experience restore them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

I learned the hard way that doing stem stem separated from the bowl as shown in this video (sanding or buffing) is a sure fire way to round off an edge....yrmv....

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

I'm considering having someone else do the restorations for me now, maybe I'll pick up on restoring estate pipes later on.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. andrew

Comrade Stalin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just do a salt and alcohol treatment if the pipe has a bad or strong taste, all my pipes are estate pipes, I looked into restoring them then realized a good cleaning was all they needed at most.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Post some photos so members can get an idea of what they need. This will allow more accurate recommendations as to what needs done and more relevant tips. You may even get an offer from someone to help or do it for you.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, I can't believe the guy in the video didn't do "something" about those dent in the stem before doing all that work. Well, maybe they fit his teeth, too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

Posted pictures of the pipes. One stem is very oxidized.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I don't see any pix Dual?

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

duallogic

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. That's odd. The pictures appear to have uploaded a day ago.

They show up when I access this thread.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mustanggt, briarfriar, shaintiques, mcitinner1, dmcmtk, frank13, tbradsim1, lordofthepiperings, weezell, bobg, peckinpahhombre, mikestanley, kcvet67, pruss, jd11, rsuninv, keith929, tppytel, jarit, northernneil, jmatt, dieseltech, rickpal14, jiminks, agnosticpipe