Restored Old Peterson-My Birth Year Pipe! (PICS!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I know what you're thinking, how can a average Peterson be a birth year pipe? Well here's my story on this.

I know that finding a birth year pipe can be difficult, and expensive to accomplish. Unless you luck into a commemorative pipe with the year stamped on it, or find a Dunhill that can be accurately dated, it can be hard if not impossible to do. I never figured I would luck out with anything as my birth year is 1946, and not to many pipes can be dated to that year, and if I did find one, I'm sure it would be out of reach financially.

In the mean time I'd decided I wanted to try a Peterson system pipe, as I've never had one. New ones seemed kinda of pricy for me, and the nice ones on ebay always seemed to go for a lot too. I've always like older pipes, so as I had been looking at old Petes online, I would occasionally bid on one, and I finally got one! The pics on the auction were fairly typical, dark, blurry, not a lot of info, but I could determine it was a pre-republic Pete anyway. Truth is the nomenclature was pretty worn. It was a pistol to clean out though, dirtiest pipe I've ever run across inside. But I think I got it where it needs to be, inside and out.

After I received the pipe, I did a little research online on it and it's stampings, and it looks like it's shape 309, and has a nickel cap on the shank. Also it appears, from all I read, that this pipe was probably made between 1945-1947. What's the middle year? Oh yeah, 1946! Maybe it was made earlier, maybe not, I'm sure there are Peterson experts out there that will have an opinion on this. Feel free to rain on my parade, but as far as I'm concerned, it has a good chance of being made on birth year, or at least close enough. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I do have a couple of questions about this pipe though. I've never seen a Pete with the stem removed so I don't know if it's correct or if something is missing. The diagrams I've seen show a tube coming out of the tenon that goes farther into the shank. Or is this stem made correctly and will work ok as is?

Also, is there anything I need to do to secure the stem in the shank other than twist and push? I'm afraid it might come apart while smoking. I didn't wax it on the lower part, but I doesn't feel real tight unless I twist and push quite hard. Open to a little advice for a newbie Peterson user. (I have another one coming in the mail too that I'll post about when I get it) Thanks, Paul

Before

img_0249-600x449.jpg

img_0251-600x459.jpg

img_0259-450x600.jpg

After

img_0261-600x449.jpg

img_0264-600x450.jpg

img_0270-600x449.jpg

img_0274-600x430.jpg

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Nice job on the restoration.

I am pretty sure what you have is a military mount. Which means the stem just pushes in. I have one Pete with a military mount and it does require a little pressure when you put them together.

K

klause

That is a really beautiful pipe - and, an excellent restoration job - very nicely done.
There's nothing missing from the stem, and it will do it's job perfectly. It's a typical system stem, just pop it in, firmly, and smoke away.
The 309 is a gorgeous shape, screaming understated elegance and class. It's a pre-republic, so an absolute classic, and will undoubtedly be an excellent smoker.
To top all this, it's a birth year pipe - fan-flipping-tastic.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I enjoyed my first smoke with a little Luxury Blend in this old Peterson last night, and wow, has a really open draw, and smoked wonderful, no gurgles at all. Bowl got a little hot a couple of times, but probably just my fault, puffing too fast trying to enjoy the smoke. Like a little kid, I was.

Thanks for all the positive feedback from everyone, and to klause for getting me to stop obsessing about the stem and just load it and smoke!
The only problem I have now, and it's a big one, is that my wife now wants birth year Pete too! She's a little older than me, so I guess I'll be looking for one stamped "Made In Eire". Not gonna be easy to find one I can afford I'll bet, so she might have to wait awhile. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.