PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My PAD has been in overdrive lately. I bought a group of 3 pipes from ebay that were quite cheap and had recognizable brand names. One of them was this old Peterson Kapp Royal. I didn't know they made a Kapp Royal before the current style, and I have no idea where it fell in their line-up. It's obviously not a system pipe, but is a classic style and has a fishtail stem, which made me happy, as all my other Pete's are P-lip.
At any rate, it was in fairly grubby shape with lots of charing around the rim, a nasty looking stem and just generally dirty. The nomenclature wasn't very strong but looked better after the clean up. I thought there were remnants of a P on the stem, but when cleaning I could see nothing. This is a Republic era pipe but the COM stamp is quite small, so maybe it's an early Republic pipe? It also has an odd shape number, 787, but the first 7 is upside down. Maybe supposed to be number 87 that could be read right side up or upside down? :crazy:

It cleaned up rather well, and I could find no fills at all. It's a nice size for an apple shape, but I still am at a loss why this Kapp Royal looks so different from the current style. Any Peterson fans have any knowledge about this, feel free to chime in.
Before pics:

img_01183-600x344.jpg

img_01192-600x341.jpg

img_01201-600x269.jpg

After pics:

img_01298-600x324.jpg

img_01321-600x378.jpg

img_01341-600x368.jpg

img_01362-600x391.jpg

img_01371-600x406.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That is an odd one. But it looks fantastic. I think the 87 is the usual number for the apple shape, but it looks like the "8" got a "7" on both sides somehow. Nice one.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Well done Orley. Did you have to sand and refinish the stummel? The char looks pretty substantial in the before pics.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Thanks for the comments guys. I still can't find out much about this series of Kapp Royals though. Member "dixie" here on the forums seems to have a chubby pot of that series though. That's the only other one I've seen.
Yeah Dave, I did have to refinish the stummel. I worked mostly on the bowl though as I wanted to maintain the stampings as much as possible seeing how they were not in the best condition. Most of the real char was on the rim of the bowl.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Another miracle cure from Orley. He doesn't restore old pipes, he resurrects nasty old beaters, finds the hidden quality and presents it in the best possible light.
Great job on what looks to be a super smoker, Orley! Your restos are always fun to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.