Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

Restored An Interesting Kaywoodie (pics)

(22 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by shaintiques
  • Latest reply from sparrowhawk
  1. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Restored a military mount style estate Kaywoodie today. Pipe was lightly smoked but grungy. This is an antique store find. Here is the before and after.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jeepnewbie

jeepnewbie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work.

"Keep it Classy"
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good job.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's really neat, Dave.

Found an almost identical DG several years ago. (Had no idea either company made that shape.)

Your clean up, as usual, is spectacular. What did you use on the bowl exterior?

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used water and a tooth brush. Then rewaxed the bowl. Just that brightened it up that much.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice job on that. I'll have to get my wife's tooth brush and try that technique.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice work.
    Toothbrush & water. No soap or other cleansers?
    The stamping "Imported Briar" looks brighter & the band now looks golden. How did you achieve this? (Or is it just the lighting?)

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice find! I always lose out on eBay with the KW Army mount pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toothbrush, wax, and elbow grease. You don't need $400 worth of gear to make them bright. That is an inspiring example of Kaywoodie in its prime. Does it have a stinger? It looks like some of the elegant briars that go for hundreds these days. Pipes must not have been as popular in this area (central N.C.) since I seldom find pipes, much less good ones, in antique stores, flea markets, etc. On rare occasions, when I find something (nothing I want) the sellers know zero about them. There's just not much traffic in pipes. I think this was cigarette country. At the big state fairground flea market, I found some big gourd calabash pipes and the seller didn't even know what they were -- pipes was all he knew. They were still overpriced, and not something I am likely to smoke.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First Kaywoodie I've seen with a military mount. Cool find! Nice looking burner.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. agnosticpipe

Orley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job on that Dave! I've seen one or two of these on ebay before and was intrigued by their looks. I take it, it doesn't have a stinger? Very cool pipe! Enjoy!

The pipe smoker formerly know as agnostic pipe
    "Fried food, hard liquor, and tobacco, that's the holy trinity!"- Stacy Keach
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The lighting makes it look a different color but it is a lot brighter than it was. I just used water. I try to avoid using any kind of soap or chemical if I can help it so as to not mar the stain. I use spit to remove rim burn, but this pipe didn't have any. The stem is actually acrylic I believe as it had no xxidation. And there is no stinger. Not sure of the age of it. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That pipe cleaned up quite nicely. Great job.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. carver

carver

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice work, she really shines and shows her true beauty now !!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice job! Love the look of those Kaywoodie army mounts and you did a great job on the metal. I've sharked after a few but never gotten one in my price range. Enjoy it!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool old KW Dave !

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

shaintiques:

It looks as though part of the nomenclature on the shank reads "Standard." If this is correct, then according to Richard Carleton Hacker (Ref. his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting") this model dates from 1950 to the present.

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicely done. That's a KW you don't see everyday.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice work on that 'woodie! My hunch is that these were pipes made for PX sales to soldiers in the Vietnam War (possibly Korea). The stems are interesting. Some came with Perspex-like stems. The stems like the one yours may be nylon, but they are more prone to tooth marks than I would expect from nylon.

On the subject of the stems, the Perspex-like stems should not be exposed to alcohol for any more time than it takes to run a cleaner through. I found that out while trying to clean up a particularly nasty Kaywoodie army mount. The airway was so gunky that my pipe cleaner became hopelessly stuck. I tried letting the exposed part of the cleaner wick Everclear up into the stem. The stem deformed and the pipe cleaner never came free. The stem was probably ruined anyway (it had hairline cracks near the button), but the alcohol sealed its fate.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Nice work on an unusual KW!

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. captaincalabash

captaincalabash

Login to Send PM

I love Kaywoodies and yours is a beauty.

I have 2 rules that I live by: the first is, "Never tell all that you know."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great work as always, Dave. Got the one below for a song at eBay, because I didn't know what to make of it; part Kaywoodie and half restored, if you can call it that. But it still smokes great!

The original stem was removed with the stinger, and replaced with this new stem. Strangest damn looking pipe I ever saw. It's now owned by the lady I'm trying to convert to the hobby.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   carolinachurchwarden, mawnansmiff, sumusfumus