Restored An Interesting Kaywoodie (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Restored a military mount style estate Kaywoodie today. Pipe was lightly smoked but grungy. This is an antique store find. Here is the before and after.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That's really neat, Dave.
Found an almost identical DG several years ago. (Had no idea either company made that shape.)
Your clean up, as usual, is spectacular. What did you use on the bowl exterior?
Fnord

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Very nice work.

Toothbrush & water. No soap or other cleansers?

The stamping "Imported Briar" looks brighter & the band now looks golden. How did you achieve this? (Or is it just the lighting?)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Toothbrush, wax, and elbow grease. You don't need $400 worth of gear to make them bright. That is an inspiring example of Kaywoodie in its prime. Does it have a stinger? It looks like some of the elegant briars that go for hundreds these days. Pipes must not have been as popular in this area (central N.C.) since I seldom find pipes, much less good ones, in antique stores, flea markets, etc. On rare occasions, when I find something (nothing I want) the sellers know zero about them. There's just not much traffic in pipes. I think this was cigarette country. At the big state fairground flea market, I found some big gourd calabash pipes and the seller didn't even know what they were -- pipes was all he knew. They were still overpriced, and not something I am likely to smoke.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The lighting makes it look a different color but it is a lot brighter than it was. I just used water. I try to avoid using any kind of soap or chemical if I can help it so as to not mar the stain. I use spit to remove rim burn, but this pipe didn't have any. The stem is actually acrylic I believe as it had no xxidation. And there is no stinger. Not sure of the age of it. Anyone have any ideas?

Aug 1, 2012
Nice job! Love the look of those Kaywoodie army mounts and you did a great job on the metal. I've sharked after a few but never gotten one in my price range. Enjoy it!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
shaintiques:
It looks as though part of the nomenclature on the shank reads "Standard." If this is correct, then according to Richard Carleton Hacker (Ref. his book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting") this model dates from 1950 to the present.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Nice work on that 'woodie! My hunch is that these were pipes made for PX sales to soldiers in the Vietnam War (possibly Korea). The stems are interesting. Some came with Perspex-like stems. The stems like the one yours may be nylon, but they are more prone to tooth marks than I would expect from nylon.
On the subject of the stems, the Perspex-like stems should not be exposed to alcohol for any more time than it takes to run a cleaner through. I found that out while trying to clean up a particularly nasty Kaywoodie army mount. The airway was so gunky that my pipe cleaner became hopelessly stuck. I tried letting the exposed part of the cleaner wick Everclear up into the stem. The stem deformed and the pipe cleaner never came free. The stem was probably ruined anyway (it had hairline cracks near the button), but the alcohol sealed its fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.