PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
Hi All!
I have 10 estate pipes in the mail that should be here Tuesday. I've never "restored" or prepped for smoking any briar pipes really, so I'm pretty excited to take on the project.
I'm trying to gather a list of some things I'll need to bring them back to life with basically no tools on hand. This is what I figure I'll need to gather over the weekend to be prepped for digging in when they arrive.
1. Reamer (I'm sure at least a few could use a reaming). Should I invest in a reamer, or just scrape by hand with a knife?

2. Sandpaper of various grits for cleaning up rims and stems if necessary

3. Microfiber cloth for polishing, cleaning

4. Oxiclean for soaking stems

5. Plenty of pipe cleaners

6. Everclear and kosher salt

7. Beeswax for buffing (have it already)

8. Vaseline for covering anything that might need covered in Vaseline
What am I forgetting?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would definitely have a reamer, and I would add magic erasers, micro mesh, and shank brushes to the list. I would also add a buffer and buffing wheels to the list if you plan on getting them looking their best again.

May 4, 2015
I read somewhere that micromesh is available at craft stores - are there any particular types/grits? that are recommended, and what are they used for? Polishing a stem, bowl, the whole pipe?
Yes - totally spaced the magic eraser. Those seem indispensable.
Buffing wheel is probably not going to happen. Good old elbow grease is what I got; at least for this batch.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's a pretty comprehensive list:

https://rebornpipes.com/2012/05/31/list-of-supplies-for-refurbishing/
For sandpaper, I go to Advance Auto/Walmart or Autozone and get the 3M body shop packs. I use:

800>1000>1500 & 2000 grades
Micromesh

I like the unpadded 6" x 3" sheets in:

8,000 & 12,000 grades

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I'm no expert but lately I've been using a soft padded nail file and a neoprene computer mouse pad. I fold my sand paper and micromesh over the nail file. The pink nail files in the cosmetic section work great. I find that it gives me greater control when sanding and polishing. It also helps me to keep sharp edges on the button. Also, your fingers will thank you. Cleaning stems will cramp them up after a while. Using a simple tool helps with that. The mouse mat is my work area and I can press my stems into it instead of pushing them down on to the hard surface of my work bench (kitchen table). The nail files are cheap and can be found at any drug or grocery store. The mouse pad I found at a local K Mart for under three bucks. Cheapest neoprene mat you can find. I won't take the credit for these simple ideas. Georged is a savant when it comes to this stuff. I learned a lot just by reading stuff he posts. The credit goes to him.

M

Can someone give me a quick heads up on what the micromesh is used for in the process?
I use these...
+[Non-Brand]+[PLA]+[Shopping]&adgroup=[PLA]+[Shopping]+Category+-+Tools&kwid=productads-adid^99554295364-device^c-plaid^89096651540-sku^H203395TL-adType^PLA]Example
... and use them in order from lowest to highest to remove stem oxidation and chatter on the stem. I prefer to use them with water when sanding a stem, and I use them after I've used oxiclean and/or a magic eraser.
If you don't plan to use a buffer then you may want to add Halcyon II wax to buff your stummels and obsidian oil to finish your stems?

May 4, 2015
Interesting. Thanks for the responses, everyone.
I'm thinking Murphy's Oil Soap might be a good addition for general bowl cleaning?

M

I'm thinking Murphy's Oil Soap might be a good addition for general bowl cleaning?
Spit is still the best briar cleaner.

May 4, 2015
I'm trying to source everything locally if possible.
Any idea what store (or type of store) I could find Halcyon II wax and obsidian oil?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Tom, Murphy's is great for cleaning the exterior of briar. Be careful not to get it inside. Unless your like you baccy tasting like a pine tree.

M

Any idea what store (or type of store) I could find Halcyon II wax and obsidian oil?
I imagine you could look at every store in town and not find them? You can order them both from 4noggins.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'd skip the beeswax ( except for a loose stem) and get a small jar of Halcyon II and Paragon pipe waxes. Easy to apply and holds up better.

May 4, 2015
I will certainly order some of both, but are there any products more widely available that work? Mineral oil, paste waxes, etc?
I'm not opposed to pipe-specific products, but if I can get serviceable oils and waxes off the shelf, that would make me happier.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Micro mesh can be had at Hobby Lobby, and maybe other craft stores.
I too would skip the beeswax cept for helping tightening stems if you go that route.
I've heard mixed reviews about olive oil for stem shining. Some say it works great others say it becomes rancid. As far as waxes I can't help ya all I have is pure carnuba for briars. However with the micro mesh you can get a dull shine with them. Just not a brite mirror shine.
Murphys will also remove a bit of the finish on the briar. If it has a shine it won't for long.
Good luck and happy restoring, it's always great to bring a pipe back to life.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Halcyon 11 and Paragon waxes can be bought on eBay, or directly from the distributor:
https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/
I don't currently have room for a shop or a buffer, so I've done most of my stem rejuvenation using Micromesh pads. Depending on the level of crap on the vulcanite, one starts with the coarser cutting grades and work up to the finest polishing grades. Done right you get a mirror-like polish, with a bit more elbow grease and unless you're experienced with a buffer, better control. I coat the result with Paragon Wax.
Clean out the guts before you work on the exterior.
Have fun!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Also consider getting the micro-mesh sanding "sticks". They are shaped like a fingernail file and will save you a TON of headaches when polishing next to the button. They aren't expensive and come through usps, so you don't have to be home to receive them. Well worth the small investment.
Micro-Mesh Polishing Files

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I use magic erasers or micro mesh with tooth paste to clean the stem and remove tooth chatter
Might want to get a Retort system too

Status
Not open for further replies.