Restoration Questions Re/ Odd BBB Pipe (PICS)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Moonshine Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I just got this little BBB pipe from an ebay auction, and I couldn't really see the stampings very well from the pics posted. After looking online I still don't know anything about this pipe. The nomenclature is very faint, and is partly covered by the repair band. It looks like it's TUBU, or maybe an O. Anything like a shape number must be covered by the band. The shank looks like it was cracked in at least 2 places maybe more, so someone must have loved this pipe a lot to try to have it repaired. I figure the stem is a replacement stem although it has a long tubular stinger that goes up to the bowl like I've seen on other BBB pipes. The pipe measures about 5.5 inches long, and the bowl opening is quite narrow at about 5/8 inch.

Ok, so here's the question: I would like to restore it to some degree, but I thought I'd ask some of you more experienced restorers, how would you handle the top of the bowl? As you can see, it's badly worn, and chipped. I'm sure the top was even at one time, but I kind of like general shape now with it higher on the front and back. I don't think the pipe has much value, but I don't know if I should keep as much briar at the top as I can, or just top the whole bowl so it's even.

Any suggestions about what would be best for the pipe?

Also if any BBB collectors out there have any info on this weird little pipe, it would be appreciated.

img_0297-600x421.jpg

img_0298-600x449.jpg

img_0301-600x449.jpg

img_0303-600x449.jpg

img_0306-600x449.jpg

K

klause

Agnostic, that's a beauty. If it was me, I'd just clean it, smoke it, and admire it.
Topping it, or otherwise messing about with it will ruin it, in my mind anyway.
The scars it carries tell a story and give it character.
Make it serviceable, and let it serve.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Yeah klaus, I thought about that too. It would be the easiest thing to do, because it mostly just needs cleaning on the inside, and a little buffing and waxing on the outside, and I'm there.

I just wanted to see if anyone would do extensive work on it or not. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

May 31, 2012
Wow, cool pipe there.
I agree with Klause, just give it a good cleaning and perhaps a vigorous polishing will smooth out some of the tap-out denting.
Anyway, it's quite beautiful.
And I'd reckon it's also quite old, most definitely pre-50's.
At first i thought it might be some odd variant of opera or vest pipe, but the bowl isn't oval, I grabbed my handy-dandy copy of the 1912 BBB catalog...

http://www.briarbooks.com/BBB_1912_Catalogue.html

...and looked over the index for pipes beginning with tubo-, but found none.
Then I recalled how you say the bowl size is only 5/8" and it clicked with me that this might just be a cigar tube, as they called 'em, couldn't find one with your cool shape, but here's the page nonetheless,

hkmg9PP.jpg

...and the Tubo name makes more sense.
I'm not a BBB collector, but I do like them, wish I could provide more info but it's scarce to come by.
It probably didn't have a shape number, the early pipes usually did not.
I think it's a very cool pipe.
Congrats on the find!

:puffpipe:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
misterlowercase, thanks for all the info. That's far more than I found out. Those pipes pictured weren't actually made to smoke cigars in were they? I imagine you could, but why? I think it'll make a nice little flake pipe for short smokes. Reallly looks like an interesting book though! Just might have to get one.
I also do believe that neither of my first choices is the right one now. I'll just clean it up as is, and post some pics when it's done.
Thanks all.... :puffy:

May 31, 2012
KMP-DVD%5B%28015689%2904-30-05%5D.JPG

Back around 100 years ago it was popular to use a "cheroot holder" or a "cigar tube", especially if one was a sophisticated gentleman, but they were most usually ornate meerschaum --- the briar version would have probably been marketed as a more "sporting" or "working class" item because they would have been much more durable.
I don't know anything about cigar history, so I can't offer much.
But y'know even now if someone was walking around with a cigarette holder they'd probably get funny looks, they've fallen into the stereotype of "aristocratic airs" yet they were once very popular.
tech_tabak_ian_fleming_smoking_cigarette_holder_bow_tie_AA_01_01a.jpg

Similar thing with cigar holders I reckon,

I love this old Easter card,

neat stuff...
567_001.jpg

Your pipe with almost a 16mm bowl should do fine though, and it appears that the original owner also smoked pipe tobacco in it?
Does it have any sort of ghost or smell?
But the inner bowl sure does look like it's in great condition.
I'd think it's actually quite a scarce thing you got there, and for $8 you gotta helluva deal!

:puffy: :!:
Corbis-BE053888.jpg

Some of the Semois baccy that's become popular as of late comes in "bouchons" which resemble chubby cigars and are made to stick inna pipe for smoking --- it makes me wonder, if a briar pipe has been exclusively used for smoking cigars, with no direct burning in the chamber, would it still "break in" the way we're used to?
bouchon+de+semois.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Wow! misterlowercase, you really outdid yourself! Wonderful pics of how these little pipes were actually used sometimes. Thanks for all the info and feedback from all.
I'm posting a few pics to show what I did to clean up the pipe, which wasn't all that much. Just a little touch up on the top of the bowl, some light polishing and waxing. I do think that it had been used most recently as a pipe tobacco smoker though. The bowl smelled of pipe tobacco, and had a small amount of cake inside, and even a few flakes of tobacco in the bottom. But as you can see, a corona size cigar fits nicely in the bowl. I'm not gonna do it though, flake tobacco only I think.
dsc_0002-600x398.jpg

dsc_0004-600x398.jpg

dsc_0005-573x600.jpg

K

klause

Beautiful!!!
That's a cracking job, Agnostic. I tip my cap to you. Bravo!
Enjoy.

May 31, 2012
WOW!

:clap:
It came out beautiful!
Very well done!
Did you do it by hand,

or do you have a buffing wheel?
However you did it,

it looks absolutely fantastic!

:!:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
I've got small 1750 rpm motor with a tapered spiral adapter on the shaft so I can use a multiple choice of 4 inch or 6 inch wheels on it just by spinning them on and off. I first used some fine grit micro mesh pads, and then a light touch up with some tripoli, follow by some white diamond and carnauba wax. It's a simple set up that I've used for over 25 years. Keeps on working so I keep on using it. Looking forward to smoking it tonight.

Thanks guys! I like these small simple inexpensive pleasures.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Amazing outcome on the bowl agnosticpipe! I would have just topped it. SOmething for me to remember for use on an old relic for sure! Well Done!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
That's interesting. Since they are made to hold a cigar, are they drilled differently or does the draft hole look like any other pipe?
BTW misterlowercase, if I EVER see a chicken with arms instead of wings I'm gonna freak completely out, Easter chicken or not. :)

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks again for all the positive feedback guys! I'm glad I listened to you about leaving the top of the bowl pretty much as is. I'm very happy with the outcome. Something to remember going forward with future estate pipes, consider what you're working with. Nicer historic pipes deserve a little thought before you start messing with them.

A cheap basket pipe I would still probably just have topped the bowl.
And torque, it seems to have a normal pipe bowl, one that tapers down slightly towards the bottom. The cigar in it is a 43 ring size and it's a nice snug fit. It might fit a smaller cigar, but not a larger one. Honestly, it just looks funny with a cigar in it, but it might have looked normal at one time if this was a popular thing to do. :crazy:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Mr. Lowercase thats a very nice picture of Ian you have there - taken I believe when he worked for The Sunday Times. My late Mother new him during the war but I suppose everyone did in those days!

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I would not use it for cigars but that is one good looking pipe. Odd but very appealing shape and beautiful grain.

Status
Not open for further replies.