PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Ever since I pulled the soggy filter out of my first cob years ago I've never put one back. Recently I have been rethinking them and was wondering, those of you who use the paper filters for 2 or 3 bowls, do you pull the filter out and let it dry? I would think this would be ideal to let your pipe dry as well. Or do you just let it sit for a few bowls, pull the filter and clean.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I always take the balsa filter out of my Savinelli after every smoke. I wrap it in a paper towel and let it dry over night. I may use the same filter for 3 or 4 bowl before I reach for a new one.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I toss my filter after every smoke.
Dr. Grabow and Medico paper filters are so inexpensive (a penny each), and readily available at almost any pipe and/or cigar store or cigarette cheaper joint, I find no reason to reuse them.
I remove the filters, all filters, with a tool so I don't even touch them; even after one smoke, they are nasty.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I use filters in my cobs and my Savinelli pipes. I usually will take the balsa filter out of the Savinelli's and let it sit out for a day or overnight before putting it back in the pipe. I will use the balsa filters 2-3 times before replacing them. As for the Medico filters I usually just leave them in the cob and only use them 2-3 times as well before replacing them.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dr. Grabow and Medico paper filters are so inexpensive (a penny each), and readily available at almost any pipe and/or cigar store or cigarette cheaper joint, I find no reason to reuse them.
Wow mate, I have to start shopping where you do. 10 cents for a pack of 10! Not in today's economy.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Well filters do get nasty but i do frequently change mine.Probably after about 8 bowls though.I also do let it dry after a bowl then reuse.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Paper filters get smoked until they've reached saturation point--generally several bowls--then tossed. I tried re-using the balsa and maple filters (Savinelli and Brigham, respectively), and as I mentioned in the recent article, I didn't feel it was much return on investment. They stayed stinky after boiling them in water for a bit and drying. I just accept them as a minor expense that has the benefit of expanding my smoking possibilities.

Mar 1, 2014
I've taken to using curled up pipe cleaners (cut in half) in a 9mm filter slot and I toss them every time, those actually end up costing just a few pennies each and they stop gurgle really well.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I've taken to using curled up pipe cleaners (cut in half) in a 9mm filter slot and I toss them every time, those actually end up costing just a few pennies each and they stop gurgle really well.
Thats exactly what I do. Its quick, easy, and super cheap. Just cut a pipe cleaner in half, wrap it around your pipe tool and put it in your pipe. Stops gurgle and sucks up quite a bit of moisture.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I prefer balsa "filters." I let them sit in open air at least overnight. I use 4 or 5 times before tossing them. Paper filters are nasty in my opinion.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
9mm filters should be replaced after each full bowl,it depends on the tobacco also.Balsa sticks can go two bowls.Remember they pull moisture out as well as tar etc.Balsa is adsorption, not a true filter.Very helpful in taking up moisture.Paper filters are nasty because they do the job. If you don't use them where do you think Mr. Nasty goes?? :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.