PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cam9

Lurker
May 1, 2017
If a pipe is used to smoke only one or two bowls, does it need to rest, or can 1 pipe be used indefinitely day after day if it's only getting used for 1 or 2 bowls?
Thank you in advance.

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
The common answer is give a pipe 24 hrs to rest. If your pipe gets too much consecutive use it can start to get soggy or turn sour tasting. But i have heard others on the forum say that they will use the same pipe 2-3 time per day. That being said, most will use a different pipe the next day. Chats why it is important to build a good rotation of pipes. Corn cob pipes are a good cheap option for starting your rotation. Also Meerschaum pipes do not need to be rested like briars do , in fact the only way to get them to color is by a lot of use. Hope this helped.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I smoke the same pipe twice per day, cleaning after each smoke, for a week before rotating. Have for a couple of decades with no ill effect.

This is not a hard-fast rule, and the science on it is sketchy at best, since dry time is relative to the environmental conditions, and what part exactly needs to dry is debated still.
(que old Western stereotypical Native American tom toms...) Also note, that there are many, many, many real pipe smokers that smoke one blend in just one single pipe all of the time, day in and day out. They are the badasses. (que, the Eastwood whistle for emphasis) The tough guys. Real pipe smokers... (spit for emphasis) So, you can fret and wring your hands over how long, how many, "how"... howdie. But, there are those who do as they please. They take what they want. None of these sissy pipe rules or girlie "keep 'em clean" stuff. You smoke it till it's dead, toss it, and buy a new one. For every season, there is a ... or something like that. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad smoked his pipe (he owned one fully functional pipe at a time) day-in-day-out until it burnt out, smoking from just after breakfast until bedtime, except for meals. He did this from age 15 until 65, when he quit cold turkey. Probably the early years were more confined by school rules, but you get the idea. The usual thing is to rest a pipe for at least a day or two after any number of bowls during a particular day. Once people accumulate "too many pipes," for a rotation, usually the pipes get plenty of rest. They play tennis, sip bourbon, watch movies, and read, among other things. Hanky-panky has been reported, but I grant them their privacy.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Briar is a lot sturdier then what you might think. If I smoked 1 to 2 bowls a day, I think I could get by with just one pipe. I do however concur with smittyd that it wouldn't hurt having a cob or 2. If anything cobs often improve the taste of the blends your smoking, especially if your smoking an aromatic blend.

Get you one of those cans of air, like they use to clean keyboards with. Spray the inside of the pipe with it, instantly dry. Or, maybe put the pipe in a bag of dry rice... Drive really fast and hold the pipe out the window. :puffy: Sorry, I was just brainstorming something besides the same old thing that that we always say... "buy more pipes." It's a PAD Catch22

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
IMO
I smoke cobs and I don't know if they need less rest, seems I've heard they need less. I've only had a pipe taste worse if I smoke it pretty much for a good while. I smoke the same pipe all day, 3-4 bowls through the week and 5-6 on the weekends, then I use a different pipe the next day. They get days of rest, often a week or more. Works for me. YMMV.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A follow the old rule, doggedly. But, in the back of my mind is the thought that it is excessive. I also have a firm belief that the "24 hours" of rest was a marketing ploy by vendors/manufacturers to sell at least two pipes to smokers. I've known many people over the years that smoke the same pipe, five or six bowls a day, every day, giving no attention to the pipe until it was ready for the trash heap. I believe both are extremes.
Cosmic, I believe, is the voice of reason in this case. I can't believe I just typed that sentence.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My pipes rest when I do. That's about it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It's pretty hard to resist buying pipes if you start to get into the whole pipe smoking experience. And even with a very low budget you can pick up a few interesting briars. Before you know it your pipes rest because you have more than you can smoke in a day. :puffy:

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Try both, smoking one pipe several times a day and then rest it for a week and smoke another bowl. I was all against resting but seems it does affect the taste. Smoking from a well dried briar gives more pleasurable experience to me so I'm resting my pipes for a day or two, sometimes even longer.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If you live in a humid climate, and smoke tobacco that's not well dried, you will one day encounter nastiness in taste without drying out the pipe with a long rest. But if you smoke tobacco that's not wet, and particularly if you smoke to the bottom, the heat will force out a bunch of moisture-> much shorter recovery time.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Like workman I've had a few yuck smokes out of un-dry pipes, but never had one sour on me. My feeling's normally been rest a day for every bowl(or maybe every two). I never do more than 3.5-4 bowls in one in a day max, & if I do that many I give it a week. I try to never do more than twice/day if I can avoid it.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I only have 2 pipes. So using them consecutively is be my first option. So, a day with pipe A, next day with pipe B. Nothing bad happened in this 2 months 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.