PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
As a relatively new pipe smoker, I've only just now taken my love of pipe smoking outside of my home and car.

In my experience, everyone equates pipes to cigarettes- an unfair comparison to say the least.

I am courteous, and obey the many restrictions placed on connoisseurs of The Leaf.

Even so, interlopers decide it is in my best interest to inform me of the great peril awaiting me if I persist in my hobby.
How do you seasoned Pipemen respond to "smoking will kill you" and other such comments?
I reply, that my experiences don't prove that to be true, pipes are very different than cigarettes, some of the longest lived men I've met have been pipe smokers, and ask how they arrived at their conclusion.
so any witty replies?

I was thinking of informing them that practicing medicine without a license is a crime :wink:

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I was thinking of informing them that practicing medicine without a license is a crime [:wink:]
I have had nothing but positive reactions so far to my pipe smoking.

I do also own a shirt that reads " Surgeon General Warning, Harassing me about smoking could be hazardous to your health!"

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Depends on what kind of mood I'm in! Sometimes, if I'm in a real good mood, I'll take the time to explain pipe smoking to them. If I'm in a pissy mood, my reply is usually as follows; " So will a lot of other things, now mind your own damned business!"

dalby

Lurker
Aug 17, 2013
The good responses do far outweigh the negative ones, I suppose I place too much weight in the disapproval of complete strangers!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
When I encounter the Antis I just whip put a copy of my handy pipe smoking manifesto, from my back pocket, and, with narry a word, thrust it into their hands.
Why I smoke a pipe.
I routinely use this missive as a broad sheet to answer the question of "Why I smoke a pipe". A question so often asked by many of my anti-tobacco friends. Friends, I might add, that give me a hard time whenever I light up my tobacco pipe. You see, I'm a reader, and my heroes are those I read about. And usually they involve men who smoked a pipe.
Run your eyes down the list below of names and see how many you recognize. Collectively, I would argue, these men actually made the 20th Century, both literally and figuratively. To a man, all avid pipe smokers, each and every one. Moreover, many lived well beyond the average lifespan of their day, many passing in their mid- to late-eighties.
Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, William Faulkner, John Steinbeck, Norman Rockwell, Orson Wells, JRR Tolkein, CS Lewis, Douglas MacArthur, Admiral Arleigh Burke, Stanley Baldwin, Neville Chamberlain, Bing Crosby, President Gerald Ford, Carl Sandburg, Harold Macmillan, Konrad Lorenz, Errol Flynn, Edgar Rice Burroughs, John D. MacDonald, Warner Baxter, Thomas Selfridge, Charles Nelson Reilly, Ossip Zadkine, , Max Frisch, , Paul Casals, Jack Lynch, Patrick Moore, Anthony Hulme, Ronald Colman, Alexander Kent, Jacques Brel, Lino Ventura, Alfred Wainwright, Rudolph Bultmann, Philippe Sollers, Jean Gabin, Leo Malet, G.E. Moore, Gilbert Ryle, Edmund Husserl, J.L. Austin, Lalo Schifrin, James Whitmore, Anthony Quayle, Ralph Richardson, Bernard Grebanier, Jean-Paul Sartre, Stanley Holloway, , Carl Jung, Paul Kruger, Curd Jurgens, Gerard Walschap, Trevor Howard, Tony Benn, Rod Hull, Trevor Baylis, Joss Ackland, Frank Muir, Manny Shinwell, Jack Hargreaves, Warren Mitchell, Rupert Davies, Russ Abbot, Van Gordon Sauter, Walter Cronkite, Robert Fulghum, Milorad Pavić, Glenn Ford, Erwin Shrodinger, Moustapha Akkad, Evelyn Waugh, Harold Wilson, Bertrand Russell, Alf Landon, Edgar Buchanan, Dean Jagger, Edward G. Robinson, Rudyard Kipling, Aaron Spelling, P.G. Wodehouse, Allen Dulles, Otto Klemperer, Henry Fonda, Lee Van Cleef, Jack Lemmon, Peter Cushing, Barry Fitzgerald, Hume Cronyn, Graham Chapman, Nigel Bruce, Bennet Cerf, Raymond Chandler, Alexander Graham Bell, Arthur Frank, Richard E. Byrd, Gregory Peck, Albert King, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Edward Abbey, Juan Trippe, Frank Sinatra, General George S. Patton, Jacques Derrida, Hurbert Hoover, Sid James, Fred Trueman, Vincent Schiavelli, Eric Morecambe, Stephen Fry, Fred Thompson, Roscoe Dickinson, Guy N. Smith, Gunter Grass, Sean O'Casey, A.A. Milne, Sir Compton Mackenzie, Laurie Lee, W. Somerset Maugham, J.B. Priestly, Andre Dubus, Gordon Parks, F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, W.W. Denslow, William Conrad, William Gillette, Edwin Hubble, Rober Oppenheimer, Niels Bohr, Robert Young, Clark Gable, Fred MacMurray, Ralph Bellamy, Cary Grant, David Ogilvy, Sir Winston Churchill, Kind George VI, Arthur Miller, Ernest Hemingway, John Ford, Shelby Foote, Herschel Burke Gilbert, Thomas Johnston Taylor, Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Sir John Mills, Owen Barfield, Alan Christopher "Al" Deere, Elliot Harold Paul, Healey Willan, Harold Tucker Webster.
After perusing such a list, I ask: Can it be that the greatest minds of the 20th Century were all common miscreants, who did not fully fathom "what they were doing to themselves"? Are we, with all our advances of modern science, more intelligent than they were? How many men today can you count that can measure to the list above? I am hard pressed to find a handfull, if that.
We current tobacco pipe smokers actually represent the historical legacy of a community of world pipe smokers, a community which, in the not too distant past, encompassed some 35% of the adult males in the United States. Lest it not be forgotten, these anonymous pipe smokers were our grandfathers, and allowed for the freedoms many of us enjoy today. Although far fewer in number today, we nevertheless still hold the candle to the memory of these men and the deeds they accomplished, with, of course, a pipe in hand.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I just whip put a copy of my handy pipe smoking manifesto
Nice post, Kashmir, thanks.
I always knew Shelby Foote was a pipe smoker even though I have never seen him with a pipe, he just had that aura about him. I enjoyed his bits in the Ken Burns Civil War documentary. When he talked about the southern generals he made it seem like he was roommates with them back in college. I enjoyed his story telling.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Our society has been programmed to believe that all smoking is the same.They accept that without bothering to learn the facts about pipes and cigars.Things that once were being frowned on though are now being thought to be ok.It has to do with individual life styles.Pipe smokers were once thought of as dignified intelluctuals,which I believe we still are.I will continue to present that image until society once again realizes that's what we are.It probably will take some more years.I believe it will happen though.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I suppose I place too much weight in the disapproval of complete strangers!
I haven't had much problem with this - and truly, I think you nailed it here. I don't care. MYOB.

blackbeard82

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2013
I go to college at Saint Petersburg College, I always figured I would hear more commits about my pipe smoking there and I have 2 observations. 1 I am a big guy and am quite intimidating, so I think they don't say much to me. 2 most of the other things I get are, the wow that smells great! how dose it taste!
So all in all I think I have converted a few people to include my father.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You can tell them the Surgeon General Luther L. Terry M.D. says pipe smokers live longer than non smokers.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
Excellent post, Kashmir!
My usual response, and I'm pretty sure I lifted this from somebody on this forum is:
"Well, my grampa lived to be 94!" To which they always reply something along the line of "Did he smoke?" and I answer "No, but he knew to mind his own damned business!"
This only backfired one time - I used it on an qualification instructor at the firing range, and he got me back. "I'm not worried," he said. "I've seen you shoot!"

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The psychology here isn't that these impromptu critics want to preserve your health. If that was their motivation,

they'd be off on a walk for medical research, or off doing the medical research. No, what we have here is the

intense eternal human longing to be correct, and to lord it over others by being correct. So best, if you can, to

be jovial and take a rapturous puff on your pipe and smile easily and say, "You may be right."

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
:lol: Nice one Harris.
Have to just make sure its an old cob or basket pipe you don't mind parting with. I wouldn't want it back.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I don't say anything at all.
If I'm in a good mood (95% of the time) I simply smile, maybe wink and they continue on their way, smiling and chuckling, acting as if they'd razzed a friend.
If I'm in a bad mood, they'll get a glare. Actually, I don't think I've ever had to use the glare response...they don't get close enough to comment if I'm in a bad mood. *shrug*
Either way, it sure beats having to converse with an individual who's naive mind you're not going to change anyway.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Our society has been programmed to believe that all smoking is the same.They accept that without bothering to learn the facts about pipes and cigars.
So true...makes one wonder how much else our society has been programmed to believe, and that they/we accept without bothering to learn the facts.
Two general rules of thumb I always try to keep in mind:
1) Truth about nearly anything is almost never spoon fed in this world...it is only discovered through expending personal effort (seeking). Anything spoon fed to you is almost always a partial truth at best.
2) It is usually easier to determine what is not true than what is true...the search for truth is largely a process of elimination.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So true...makes one wonder how much else our society has been programmed to believe, and that they/we accept without bothering to learn the facts.
It is interesting to take the time to really examine one's beliefs about certain things from time to time, if for no other reason than to find out how much one has accepted at face value without thinking critically about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.