PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Today I decided to smoke the first briar pipe I ever bought. At the time I had one brylon and one corncob pipe and had been smoking a pipe for a little over two months. Eventually I quit smoking it because it just was not a good pipe. It burnt hot, required to many relights and was just not that great of a smoker. Having said that, today, almost nine years later, it smoked much better. The pipe stayed cool, the flavor was improved and did not require but a couple of relights. This got me to thinking, maybe some of the pipes problems were because I was not a very educated or experienced smoker. Maybe, just maybe it had more to do with me than with the pipe. I am not saying that this twenty dollar pipe is the best pipe I own; however, I would say that it is more than serviceable.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
There's a lot of cheap pipes out there that are more than serviceable ! I'm glad you discovered that about yours!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was it the Brylon or the cob you rediscovered? Those Brylons aren't very popular, but they must sell quite a few because they stay on the market in a variety of shapes. One Forums member who did fire reclamation work swore by his Brylon because it withstood the greasy, dusty, ashy work sites. Probably they're not good beginner's pipes.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Mso489 sorry for the confusion, it was a HIS briar pipe that I was referring to (the third pipe I had purchased). The brylon was indeed the first pipe I purchased and smoked. It did get very hot and was hard to hold; however, it took a lot of abuse before I retired it after losing the stem. In reality it probably is not a great starter pipe, but I will always have a special place in my heart for that hunk of brylon.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Good for you, rediscovering your pipe.
My first pipe, a rusticated 1/8 bent prince shaped basket pipe, was set aside for a long time when I started to purchase better pipes. I eventually re-discovered it just as you have done and after trying several blends, it's now my dedicated ODF pipe. That blend really sings in that cheap little basket pipe, and it smokes pretty dang good now that I know what I'm doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.