PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Hey Guys. Is there any way to reseal used tins? I have some bulks coming and would like to put them in tins I have. Maybe melt some parafin around the bottom side of the lip?

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I use a double foil of aluminum modeled over the border of the tin and cut about 1/4 inch below the border of the tin. Then I seal it with electric tape. Then I put the cap of the tin and I seal also the cap with another run of electric tape or aluminum tape. Using this method for nearly two years the tin sealed in this way when opened are as fresh as when originally opened. I like to reseal the tin because I save space compared to jars and it is easier to find what I need.

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
Thanks for the idea.
I currently use Mason jars. Still interested in resealing the tins though.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Which type of tin are you thinking? The coin twist or the pop top? In that type, which style? The metal tin, like C&D or the more cardboard like, alaSutliff? Also, how long you talking about storing? I don’t think it’s a great idea regardless, but depending on the answer, the outcome could be less, less great.

Mike S.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
For aging, the concensus is that glass Mason jars are unbeatable. I recently switched to putting my "working supply" of tobacco, such as opened 1.75 oz tins, into 5mm thick 1/2-qt (6"x6") Mylar ziplock bags. This has the advantage of being extremely compact and easy to organize. I keep them in a sort of file tray that I purchased from Ikea for less than $3 each. Each tray holds a dozen or more bags. At the top of the bag, I label the general class of tobacco, like "Aromatic", "English", or "Virginia". If I have a paper label from the original container, I sometimes tape that to the bag; otherwise, I use a removable label with the specifics. I've been using this system for about 4 months with great success. I keep another one in my cigar lounge locker and it's absolutely fantastic for that. Here's a photo of the system, including a standard Dunhill tin for a size reference:
IMG_20180110_094025-X3.jpg

There was a thread about Mylar bag storage awhile back and the last post at present is about storing entire open tins in a hybrid style bag with a clear front, so you can see the tin.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mylar-storage-bags

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got no clue why you would want to insist on resealing tins when mason jars are readily available.
Good luck.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Get a large tupperware box, and put some Boveda packets or other humidification in there (those gel pellets you can get at the dollar store work fine). I have one with 8 tins and a bunch of samples in bags, and the contents are as fresh as the day I opened them. Some have been in there opened for 3 years. One caveat: always store latakia blends and aros separately. Mason jars are great, but they're not the only solution.

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I love that idea with the Mylar ziploc bags, nice and compact. While I think mason jars are great, I hate the bulkiness of the dozens and dozens of jars that I employ just for my rotational blends.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In this picture you can see opaque containers with white lids. I buy these containers at Walmart. They come 4 to a package and are all different sizes. The 4 pack costs 6 bucks. I keep my open tins in them and they stay fresh for at least 1.5 years. I believe they will easily last 2 or more years but I do have experience with 1.5.
dsc09850-401x600.jpg

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
All I know is that I have some tobaccos stored in Mason Jars that are over 25 years old and still moist when I open them. I also have some commercial grade vacuum sealed bags that are from the early 1990's. I've opened a few over the years and the tobacco is just like it was when I sealed them.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Good info here! Cgrmaster I also use those clear acrylic cylinders, but I use to them to store vintage round tins in case a seal is lost. They are great. Best ones I’ve found came from the container store :puffy:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use a vacuum sealer for the long term. Mason jars otherwise...jars are a PITA though to store after a certain amount though.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I've got no clue why you would want to insist on resealing tins when mason jars are readily available.]
We all know there are different options with the mason jars being the safest for very long term storage.

However he asked a specific question if it is possible to reseal a tin and we should help him in his quest also because there can be reasons for keeping tobacco in tins for short/medium periods such as saving space, weight and keeping the graphic of the tin if you like it. The answer is yes it is possible as I am doing with aluminum foil and electric tape and tobacco stay fresh for at least 2 years. More than arguing with other systems such as mason jars/ziplock bags and so on (which they have all their value) it should be interesting if there are other ways used to reseal the tins which is his question.

I suspect that it takes a very specific amount of heat and pressure to get those tins to seal the first time, and I have never heard of anyone getting a tin to seal back using any homemade fixes. It probably wouldn't be very... let me rephrase, if someone did figure a way to reseal tins, it could lead to some nefarious practices.
As far as what I do, I am also a Mason jar nut, but I also have inherited a room full of jars from my grandparents. We grow all of our own foods, so it is an important part of our subsistence. I do not personally find it daunting to keep a closet and a cabinet full of jarred tobaccos. But, some people may have space issues in their situations. If it were me, I would invest in one of those sealers. I'm not sure if a vacuum would be beneficial for aging, but sealing a bag could definitely help with making sure air doesn't permeate the bags.
Now, when I pop a jar, if I do have a tin that would work well for the blend that I open in the jar, I will sometimes put enough for walking around with in the tin. I especially love those square tins, because they fit in my jacket pocket perfectly. Carrying a jar around is just... awkward.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
We all know there are different options with the mason jars being the safest for very long term storage.

However he asked a specific question if it is possible to reseal a tin and we should help him in his quest also because there can be reasons for keeping tobacco in tins for short/medium periods such as saving space, weight and keeping the graphic of the tin if you like it. The answer is yes it is possible as I am doing with aluminum foil and electric tape and tobacco stay fresh for at least 2 years. More than arguing with other systems such as mason jars/ziplock bags and so on (which they have all their value) it should be interesting if there are other ways used to reseal the tins which is his question.
It just seems like it will be much more work than slapping it in jars. I wish the OP best of luck and I hope he's not looking to reseal tins for resale. Not saying that he is. Just saying I hope he isn't. I noticed a post with the same question on reddit's pipe smoking sub.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
If you want to reseal the tin, just wrap electrical tape around the thing. It will be waterproof/air tight. Cover the lid/tin joint with a turn of tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.