PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I planted all Tennessee burley a friend gave me. I started them about mid feb of last year. I had a 100% germination rate, I think I shocked all 50 of the plants I had. I had to move them, I beleive this is what killed them. I tried different kinds of tobacco through the spring but had no lucky. I will be starting more this feb. I will try to answer any questions the best I can, or provide links to answer them. I hope perhaps somebody will find this useful.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Never got to that point. If my plants wouldn't have died I would have needed a foot per plant. I had fifty, I was going to do Five ten foot rows about a foot and a half apart. I have alot of space to work where I am. If you don't have this kind of space you can start them and leave them in pots.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A foot apart sounds kinda crowded. I suppose there are small leaf varieties, I dunno, but my impression is that tobacco plants are huge. I was thinkin' that maybe 6 feet apart was a minimum.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Hello, my grandfather was a tobacco farmer. I remember helping him when I was young, We set out tobacco plants 3 feet apart in rows with 3 feet between the rows. I plan to grow some of my own this year to see how good of a pipe tobacco I can make.
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.