PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm wondering if these two wax polishes are practically made of the same components,does anybody have had experience?Presumably both are suitable for waxing&puffing pipes with smooth finishes,(am using only cloth polish method no any puffing wheels here)

Paragon is available only within U.S&Canada)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Both Paragon and Halcyon waxes are updated versions of Renaissance wax. I use both Paragon and Halcyon waxes, though I have a somewhat unorthodox approach to applying them, which seems to result in a glossier finish.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are you going to tell us what that unorthodox approach is by chance?
Well...since you ask...
I started using Halcyon and Paragon several years ago to renew the finish on some of my pipes. I followed the instructions but was less than happy with the results as the finish wasn't offering me the same deep gloss that one can obtain using Carnuba and a buffer. The finish wasn't bad, just not really bright. After one waxing I noticed that the finish was super glossy where I had accidentally rubbed it with my fingers, which had some of the polish on them, so I decided to see what would result if I threw away the polishing cloth and just polished the bowl by rubbing it with my fingers and palms after applying a tiny amount and letting it set up. The results were spectacularly better and it's the only way that I use these waxes. The wax being rubbed against itself produces a high gloss finish. It's literally a hand rubbed finish.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks much. I will give that a try since I have been less than impressed with the cloth buffing method with these as well.
Remember to use a really tiny amount, just enough to barely coat the bowl. Too much of this stuff and it can become tacky and gummy. You can always apply another coat in a day or so. An application should be good for a couple of years with just an occasional wipe with a soft cloth when the surface looks dull.
When applying to a rusticated or sandblasted surface, I don't apply any directly to the pipe. I apply a tiny amount to my hands, rub it out and let it dry slightly, then rub the rough surface with my hands to spread and polish the wax. This keeps the wax from building up in the crevices and gives just a bit of shine to the surface.
Medium to medium light pressure and light pressure at the end.
I also use these products on the stems to seal them against oxidation.

Reactions: Crawley1066

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
By happenstance, I learned to apply the Halycon the same way Jesse does.

I probably won't buy any more Paragon and simply apply Halycon to both smooth and polished pipes.

Renaissance is supposed to have mild cleaning agent in the wax, which in theory might not be good for a briar pipe. But, applied by hand, I doubt it has enough abrasive agent to do any harm. Paragon/Halycon are probably the same mixture, just more expensive...

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Sable, I like the finger technique. Microcrystalline wax polishes itself so with Halcyon on rusticated/sandblasted I get a little dab on a q tip and spread it on then wipe off the excess on an already charged toothbrush. The toothbrush can do a quick shine on it's own when they get dull. For smooth with Paragon I do the same with a q tip but wipe off the excess on a charged 5000 grit sanding pad. I wait a minute or two between applying and working it in, usually do 2 or 3 real thin coats.

Reactions: Crawley1066

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SableBrush52:Do you find this Obsidian oil worth buying in order to prevent stem oxidation?
Essentially it's mineral oil in a small bottle with a nice label. Just buy mineral oil from your pharmacy and save the money. Or, don't use it at all. I don't. I just apply a bit of the wax to the stem as a protectant. Works fine. Keeping your stems out of light when not in use is the best protection of all.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Related to this thread, here's an interesting test someone did on the PipeSmokersForums. He used Carnuba Wax, Obsidian oil and mineral oil (left to right) in taped off sections of a vulcanite stem. He put the stem in his window in February.
The stem in February:
FZDgwo5.jpg

The stem in May:
eL4aQew.jpg

r8RlMdw.jpg

The Obsidian oil section (center) does look better than the other two.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
My experience with using both Halcyon and Paragon wax has been to let the wax DRY for at least 5-10 minutes (or longer if I forget what I'm doing...) before polishing with a lint free cloth for the best finish. Of course doing it this way one must be very careful to not let the wax dry in the area of any markings, so I remove the wax in these areas sooner.
Show me, WAX ON, WAX OFF! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.