PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I bought some Carnauba wax for my pipes. It gives a nice shine to them, but it also collects in the crevices and leaves a bright white residue (i.e. within stampings or in the grooves of my sandblasts).
I pretty much have to stop using this wax altogether since every pipe I have has either a stamped logo or crevices.
Any advice on how to remove the wax from these tiny grooves? I tried a paper clip but it only partially works. Solvents will likely strip the finish. Any tried and true methods anyone know of?

mikemacrdlnds

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 21, 2011
Try using Halcyon II wax, it is designed for rusticated & sanblasted pipes. Does not dry white, buff with a horsehair shoe brush.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Try using Halcyon II wax, it is designed for rusticated & sanblasted pipes. Does not dry white, buff with a horsehair shoe brush.
Thanks Mike. I've heard about that wax - very good to know.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This is an interesting thread. Would the wax not melt when the pipe is lit, or does the bowl not get warm enough?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hey, Six:
I'll second Mike's suggestion on Halcyon II. I now use it on all of my pipes and stems and it's great stuff.
http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
Fnord

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great info everyone - much appreciated.
@ghost the bowls get warm, but the wax is inset enough I guess where it doesn't budge. There's some great tips here, I'm sure one (or a combination of) will work.
Will have to order the Halcyon II one of these days.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Try a soft bristle toothbrush and luke warm water.

Had the same exact issue and a medium bristle toothbrush worked. I had to reapply the wax to soften the wax that left the lines. When I finished using the toothbrush I buffed the pipe out with a flannel rag and they look amazing. Now the toothbrush is just part of my waxing routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.