PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have two Rossi Vittoria pipes that are great smokers and the craggy black finish is just perfect for the shapes. I just don't love the glossy finish. Seems like a semi-matte finish would suit them better.
Any simple or relatively simple method to dull the finish or to cut the gloss? I'm sure just handling them for a decade or two will get the job done, but ... that's a bit longer than I'd like to wait, LOL.
I certainly don't want to get medieval on the pipes and risk messing up the finish or making them look like they were laundered with a bag of rocks and paint stripper but I do wonder if there's a method that might wear the finish in a bit quicker.

Sep 18, 2015
Acetone would probably be what you want, it will take the finish off a little bit at a time, so you should get what you want without going to far. Alcohol will do the same but faster and increases the chance of ‘too much’ steel wool world do the trick very quickly!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Trying to work myself up to trying this, but ... 8O
Of course, after reading Ashdigger's thread on torturing his pipe with waterboarding, ducking and freezing and then defrosting while listening to Spice Girls on repeat to see if the wood cracks, breaks or just looses its will to live, I feel a bit ashamed to not try rubbing the shine off a relatively inexpensive pipe....
I suppose I should take some photos and give it a shot.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've taken the clear coat/lacquer off a a few with acetone. It won't crack, but you may find a few fills. Acetone won't do much damage to the stain like alcohol will either.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Good to know, Embers! Have you tried it on a very craggy rusticated finish? My concern is trying to keep it even and not have dull spots and shiny spots.
The black Vittoria pipes from Rossi are heavily rusticated as you can see from any stock photos and the Canadian that I have is way more craggy than the 320 author shape of the same style.

Status
Not open for further replies.